Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Cool, great news for Bushmaster fans. It certainly would be neat if something similar happened with the old Marlin plant. I know I would buy one made there with the old Marlin methodology, and never one made in Ilion with the current very low quality standards.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That sounds great. may be Marlin somehow can do the same. Marlin then would become a real rifle again. It's strange you know how even the chinese can turn out a rifle that works straight off the bat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On Bushmaster AR's I can see how that would be an easy thing to do. Everyone can make mil-spec AR's, and so there's no infringement issues with opening back up the shop and making exact clones of what they made before.

But what about the Marlin rifles? They have any legal recourse to protect their designs? For example, if someone started making perfect clones of current Marlins (with 100% interchangeable parts), could they do anything about it? If not, they yeah, I could see the same thing happening here.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
The Marlin patents are long since expired. As long as they do not infringe on the Marlin trademarks they'd be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So is there a wealthy Marlin corporate big guy who might be capable of doing it?

BTW, I propose "RJM Firearms" for the name.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
JM Rifleworks? M&K Firearms? Kenna Firearms? North Haven Firearms? Connecticut Rifleworks?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking that Remington, or freedom group might lose interest after they run it into the ground & suck it dry making it a cheap purchase. But who really knows?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I live the next town over from this facility!!!
The community has always been very supportive and proud to have these quality rifles built right here in Maine!!!

Ken,
Thank you for the update!!! :)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Detroitslim said:
Isn’t there usually a non-compete clause in the contract for x amount of years when you sell a business?
For the previous owner, usually. The previous owners of Marlin have zero interest in the firearms business, anyway, so that won't happen. But they don't get a new patent just because the business changed hands. So there's nothing to stop another company from coming along and producing lever action rifles to compete with Marlin. That's what free market capitalism is all about.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
I met Richard ****, the original owner of Bushmaster (and Quality Parts Inc.) in August of 2009, when I visited Bushmaster while vacationing in Maine.

I'd stopped in, to meet with Tom Tyler the Sales Manager, to review the progress on one of my Bushmaster Target rifles that was being built for me at that time...........

Tom introduced my wife and I to Richard ****. I only spoke with Mr. **** for a few minutes, but he impressed me as a man who was passionate about his Bushmaster rifles, and held the people that built them in high regard.......Even though he no longer owned the company, he asked about the rifle I had spec'd out, wanting to make sure I was getting what he thought was best for my intended use......I came away thinking anyone would be fortunate to work for a man like Richard ****.

I'm very excited to see he was able to keep his promise, as he vowed to re-open another Gun company in the three buildings that housed Bushmaster, when he got word of remington's intention of closing the company...........Fortunately, Mr. **** had retained ownership of all the Bushmaster real estate.

I wish Mr. ****, and his new company EVERY Success, in re-capturing his relinquished share of the AR market!

GOD Bless Richard ****, his re-hired employees, and their New Windham Weaponry Company!.........If I could get to Windham Maine, on a part time basis, to help him be sucessful in this new venture,.......I'd go...........

Gear up, Lock n load!

Tom

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
He sounds like a great guy and an ideal boss. 8)

·
Registered
901 Posts
If Tom, and most everybody else involved with OUR old Marlin Operation were to try to resurrect it. I'd be willing to dedicate time after work and weekends to get the Entire Facility up and running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Come on guys!!!! We'd love to see it..

How about Ballard Rifle Co??????

Bummer, I just Googled it. Looks like there is already a Ballard in Michigan. An old name like that would work well.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
KON said:
If Tom, and most everybody else involved with OUR old Marlin Operation were to try to resurrect it. I'd be willing to dedicate time after work and weekends to get the Entire Facility up and running.
Hey Kon,

Wouldn't that be something?........

I told Bobby T. and Richie S. and the other guys in Gunservice, I'd help them, any way I could......lotta' Great people worked in that North Haven plant.....It would be nice to "Pull that Marlin bone away from the big green Dog"!

Hope things are going well for you.......... I had the Mustang out on Sunday for a "seafood' run to Westbrook......it's running real well, and Loves to drink that $4.35/gal 93 Octane gas!!!

Tom

·
Registered
901 Posts
That would be a great deal, Tom.
I enjoyed my time at Marlin, and would enjoy it more to rebuild it the way things should be running.
$12.75 for 114 Octane Race Gas is nothing to sneeze at either ! hahaha
If you need any help with getting some kind of an Operation going, get ahold of me here, or email.
That would be VERY cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts