Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to sell a couple of other lesser guns to make it happen (only a revolver and a bolt action, not one of the lever guns) but today bought my first 30-30, a JM 336 XLR, 2007, like new.
Given that there was only a handful of years of production pre-Remington, there can't be too many around especially here in Oz.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That's a gorgeous Marlin! I don't have any XLR's yet, but pics like these get me thinking! congrats on getting that one!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's a great way to kick off a 30-30 collection! Congrats!!

Reactions: wags2477

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Congrats on a nice rifle! Probably not too many around, especially down under! :tee:

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a great lookin Zero :biggrin: ya got there, stainless, laminated, way to go Wags.

GUS
Yeah a bit pretty, Gus. Might set her up for CLAS and come up to Bris sometime.

Reactions: whiskers

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Yeah a bit pretty, Gus. Might set her up for CLAS and come up to Bris sometime.
Yeah do it mate, I havent been much this year, I got all excited yesterday and loaded up 50 30.30s for todays shoot, but chickened out because it was raining.
If you ever want to come up it is on the third Saturday of the month, I promise I wont chicken out on ya. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
thats a great lookin Zero :biggrin: ya got there, stainless, laminated, way to go Wags.

GUS
And I reckon it would have Ballard rifling, so the cast pills should be easy to live with...........

Nice rifle Wags. Let us know what it goes like on paper (it'll be great, I'm sure).

cheers, curan.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. Now get to loading for her.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on your new baby. Now get to loading for her.
Thanks Swany, the LGS GAVE me 80 rounds of someone else's loads handed in with a 30-30 there. They can't sell them so yours truly got 80 rounds, which have been pulled (160gr soft tip projectiles) for the cost of a six pack of beer!

Now to get some dies and reload from scratch with the primed cases.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
80 rounds for a 6 pack,
Jackpot:biggrin:

GUS
Amen. It pays not to be proud. I will scrounge for any cheap loads or projectiles.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks Swany, the LGS GAVE me 80 rounds of someone else's loads handed in with a 30-30 there. They can't sell them so yours truly got 80 rounds, which have been pulled (160gr soft tip projectiles) for the cost of a six pack of beer!

Now to get some dies and reload from scratch with the primed cases.
Hi Wags,

I've been loading 17 grains of 2207 behind 165 Copperhawks for rams. Seems to do the job. Other targets are 14 grains behind silverhawks (different colours save mixing them up). Works for me!

Good luck and enjoy!

regards, curan

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Curan, I know very little about 30-30 reloading, are those loads especially light? The cases I emptied had about 30gr of what looked like 2206.
What velocities are you getting?
Wags

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You got the bug. I suggest looking at putting an attachment to the house for the man cave, visiting the library, Hobbies section look under R for Reloading.

Great pass time reloading. Just polishing up 100 375 cases and will load 200 of them, down to the last 3 rounds of 308ME. Better load up 100 or so. On the last hunt I took the 30-30 and 308. The stupid person I am left the keys to the 30-30 behind. For the 308 I had only 10 rounds as it was to be the back up. 3 rounds for the proof shoot, one each for the two deer and two misses. Funny how fast deer can move from a standing start. Can home with two deer and three rounds. Time to reload I think.

Enjoy that fantastic XLR. I got mine from Cleavers within weeks of them hitting the shore. What sold it was an article in Sporting Shooter by Uncle Nick. Best thing I ever did.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha thanks Hunter, Man cave for reloading well established. Down there this evening making a start on 218 Bee and 22-250 for the upcoming Qld and National comps, as well as the fo-foty-fo' for the Gulf trip in between, .243 for the nephew, and if it comes in time maybe the XLR as well! So much to do I will have to start picking stoushes with the missus just to ensure I get lots of time there!

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Like your 336XLR-30/30 Have two 2007 XLR in 308exp. and a 35 Rem. But I would like having one in 30/30 too. Good luck with it mate.
T:biggrin: NY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts