Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took me a little extra time to get out the door then usuall on opening day. Where's this and that, organization, yeah. I look at it like working the bugs out of the morning routine. Weather was fair to good this morning even though for the past 2 days it had rained up a storm. So I figgured use the rubber boots and keep my feet dry, even though the regular boots have better ankle support. I mainly wanted to scout out a newer area I go to from an image I got from the terraserver. It looked like there was more clearing then what I found, which was mostly overgrowth. Quiet snips made quick work of small branches from fallen trees in my path. I must have scouted out / circled 500 acres, felt like a million at the end of the day.
First thing I saw in the early morning was a coyote in the old logging path. Wasn't long before it kicked in the old F-16 afterburner and disapeared. Once I got off the trail if I wasn't in thicker woods or amongst the pines it was difficult to tell what was scurrying about. For a short time while nested in a group of pines I got to observe a Doe with her fawn within 40-50yards. She must have winded me because then she began to scoot back and forth peeking over overgroth trying to spot me, snorting in with an odd pattern. I almost got a shot in on a good size chuck too, he spotted me in the three seconds I saw him through the ground cover but zipped away, oh well. Spooked up a few grouse, more like they spooked me. The day ended with a total of only three shots taken, 2 reds, & 1 grey squirrel down.
I decided to use the Rem-CCI soft points as I had in the past. They did the job on the grey with minimal damage for using 22mag on squirrel.
After I re-zeroed I also was on a mission to have a harder hitting hp with the same or similar poi. Working with the Winchester-X 40 gr hp, the 'partition of 22wmr', seemed to do the trick.
To decent weather and good hunting.

Squacks; btw that old compass works great, thanx again ;)

Marlin 25mn 'triggered'
Rem 40 gr. sp (now loaded by CCI)
Winchester-X 40 gr hp
4 shots each

·
Registered
363 Posts
danurve:

i am happy to see your continued interest in the art of squirrel hunting. hope you and the compasss have many interesting days afield and in the timber.

we'll hoist a beer for you in shawnee.

luck!

T

·
0 Posts
Danurve, with shooting like that it would be a shame to miss Shawnee, if you don,t make it who will the snakes have to sit by of an evening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts