Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the mid day at the gun club, in an attempt to better my friends Nebrhogger and Kaintuck! Seems they both shoot better than me, because when the pressure was on, I flinched, and came in dead last on Kaintuck's schuetzen target!
Still it was a fun day shooting. Finally got to shoot the Sharps repro in .45-100, (.45-2 6/10 Sharps) with 4 different loadings. The first load was a full case of black, with a 500 grain paper patch Kaintuck bullet, and I was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy on recoil as I had been lead to believe! The other 3 loads were all smokeless loads with cast bullets from 300 to 400 grains, and they were even milder. The big .45 does seem to like the heavier bullets more, and groups were smaller with those 500 grainers, whether they were paper patched or plain cast.
Shot a few other guns, including the two latest arrivals, my .32-20 Stevens 44, and my .32-20 Winchester 1885. Seems the Winchester shoots just a bit better than the Stevens, but it's probably sights, as I see the target better with the Winnie's sights.
Now comes the tough part, the cleanup!

·
Registered
719 Posts
pp bullets........

mm93! glad you liked the PP's....i will get some more molded up over the holidays, and i will send you 2 types of paper.....i just got in (finally!) some 100% rag! i will let you "roll yer own" as you will be able to slug your bore and wrap as needed to attain the best fit!
try some triple 7 and see what fun it is! i shoot it in the vet :wink: and it is very consistant.
never fear about the schutzen target....'hogger will frame it and keep talking about 'italian rifles' and how much better spagetti is than brastwurst!
:D
we'll do it again! i will find another target to paint up...................
it's gonna be a looonggggg winter :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
You mentioned using Unique in your rifle loads. I used it with hardcast bullets in my 30-30s, 32 HPS, and 32-40 with great results. Have you ever used it in a 38-55? I am looking to keep muzzle velocity around 1300 FPS to duplicate original specs. This is for my new 1885 Highwall repro with MVA sights (that hasn't been fired yet!).

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely! One of my favorite reduced loads is 8.0 grains of Unique, with a 245 grain cast lead, SPG lube, in the .38-55! It's very accurate in my Ballard (pictured in my avatar) and in my Marlin lever guns! I also use 12 grains of Unique with a #60 grain cast in my .45-70 Ballard, and others, which works well too!
Very mild loads, at close to what you specified.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Kaintuck! Got to the ASRA web site, and ask if anyone has any pictures of the "King's Target". It's much like the schuetzen target you painted, and might give you some ideas for the next go round!
I'm going to start practicing, and hopefully nerves wont get the best of me next go round! Beat by an Italian; my poor Winnie Hi Wall will never be the same!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Tha Winnah!!

Thank yew!! Thank yew vurry much!!

*the speaker bows deeply from the waist several times while his lovely assistant retreives all the roses thrown by the tumultuous crowd*

I owe it all to clean living and a high-fiber diet!! *raucous cheering from the crowd* And an exceptionally accurate 1870/87 Vetterli!! And a LARGE measure of LUCK!!

Seriously, I'm looking forward the the next target... knowing that devious Tuco - I mean Kaintuck, it will be a tough one!! SW

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you ever get bored with that Sharps, I'll take it off your hands for ya.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get bored pretty quickly, if the price is rght! :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
LOL!

I wouldn't want to insult you by making a lowball offer. You and I both know you got that Sharpy for a heck of a deal. Even that the price you paid, I'd still have a hard time paying for it. lol

But who knows.... tax return season is just around the corner.

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
Thanks for the Unique tip for my 38-55. My Lyman cast bullet book lists a bunch of Unique loads, but it is comforting to hear from someone who has tried them. I have 20 rounds loaded with a 245 grain hardcast bullet and 20 grains of IMR 4198. The 4198 fills the case well, so ignition should not be a problem. Unique seems to touch off fairly easy. I never had a problem with my other cast bullet loads and small charges of Unique. How about those short W-W cases? I ordered 20 regulation-length cases from Buffalo and expected them to have a headstamp like 'Bell Basic' or 'Bertram'. They bear the W-W headstamp! Why does Winchester sell the consumer short cases and proper length cases to dealers? Hmmmm.....
Also, do you use a palm rest religiously? I have thought about putting one on my Highwall.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told that Buffalo Arms takes the short W-W cases and stretches them, making them the old length. I honestly haven't noticed a bit of difference between the newer cases and the old full length cases. I simply seat my bullets out farther in the short cases.
I only have one gun (my Schoyen Ballard) with a palm rest. I do use the palm rest when I'm shooting it offhand, and it's very comfortable. I've thought about ordering a Stevens Pope palm rest from Jeff's Outfitters for my Stevens .22 schuetzen rifle, as it's not original wood, so it wont hurt the value. Jeff's sells them for $60, so they're a good deal. He has the tuning fork style as used by Winchester, or the knob style as used on Stevens Popes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts