Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a boatload of loads to test out so I hauled about 35 lbs of pistolas and ammo to the range.
Dang near made myself sick with the heat - that surprised me. Sucks getting old.
I had picked up a Phoenix Arms 22 from a guy that was moving away - had to get some replacement parts and this was her maiden run.
Scared the crap out of me - I was getting peppered with crap and had two feed issues. Finally one got caught like a minnow and I was horrified to see the 22 case was tore all to hell - exploded! Seems like a timing issue but I don't have a clue where to look - put it away for the day.

My primary purpose was to dry run my Steyr C9 for some jacketed loads and also I got a new size die which I hope helps with the cast leading issue. I had more than a few light primer strikes (misfires) that went off the second time through. I'm wondering if the Frog Lube may not be a good idea for the striker - back to good ol oil. Anyone has any ideas about why a striker fired pistol would have light strikes only part of the time please chime in. It seemed to mostly go away after the first 2 mags - I know the Frog Lube says it's somewhat better when heated so maybe it was just sluggish.
The good news was the new sizing die appears to have solved both the leading and the accuracy problems I was having. I used the CHL B-27 torso target. I was pretty ok with getting all the shots inside the 9 ring at 25 yds - most were in the center. Not bad for off hand. I love those Steyr trapezoidal sights. Very fast to reacquire and the trigger is a dream with a short reset and consistent break. I was able to unload two full 17 rnd mags in less than 10 seconds and got them all within the rings off hand. Big big smile from that.

Used the time between to do head shots with both the Black Widow 22 WMR and the derringer. They both stayed inside the head at 7 yds so was happy with that since the little buggers buck with those 22 WMR's.

Tried some loads for the Makarov that I didn't resize. Haven't checked the leading yet but got great accuracy. Another smile. Ran through some stout loads for the 120 gn bullets and was not pleased with accuracy at all - that was a no-go back to the milder load on that one - 120 gr boolit is pushing that 9x17 a lot.

Finally tried out some 44 magnum pistol hunting loads with the 265gr Accurate and 300gr Ranch Dog boolits. Suffice to say I will not be using these for anything past 25 yds. I made up a more moderate load - 14 gr 2400 behind the 300 and it worked ok - that 15.5 load though had some real oomph and I just couldn't master it in the Ruger Blackhawk. Back to the drawing board on those two..

By this time I was starting to feel signs of heat stroke and sat down to cool off and pour some water over my noggin. I was pretty much out of bullets so ambled back home on the bike.

PS: That dang Steyr was spitting the brass forward where I can't recover it since we can't approach the bench during cease fire. So I'm sure I lost a lot of brass today. Hate that.

NTCSilhouetteTargetB-27.jpg

·
Registered
20,520 Posts
Sounds like a productive day at the range BubbaJon! We've got the same weather down here....almost unbearable to be out too long in the heat (even under the hade) before it's time to go back in the AC! Fall/winter is the best time for me down here when there's not so much sweatin' goin' on!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
It's really hard to find something that takes the fun out of a range trip for me, but temps above 95° tend to do that.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really hard to find something that takes the fun out of a range trip for me, but temps above 95° tend to do that.
I got to thinking about it and we've had some unseasonable rain - I think the humidity is way high and that contributed.
A half gallon of cool water and a 2 hr nap made it all better! Started separating and prepping the brass for cleaning last night.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Definitely sounds like a good day at the range.

Phoenix Arms never was in (or anywhere near) the high quality firearms category. You'd probably be better of saving your parts budget for it and getting a Ruger SR-22 or similar.

First rule of maintenance for strikers.....or any semi-auto...is don't lube the firing pin/striker. Because it's basically a piston, you're making it nearly air tight and creating enough pneumatic resistance to slow down the firing pin. It also tends to attract debris. Every major manufacturer recommends dry firing pins and strikers. Frog lube is pretty resilient and you might have fun getting it off, especially if you baked it on. Try a sonic cleaner if all else fails.

120gr is at the top end for the 9x18 Makarov. Remember that it's a blowback action already at the top of the scale that blowbacks can handle. Overly hot or pressured Mak cartridges might lead to bad things happening to the gun or yourself. The Mak does an excellent job launching it's pills at or just below 1000fps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts