Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working on my 1948 39a.

First, the sight
appears to be broken right at the back of the pin, What is the proper replacement for this? I see them on Ebay with the gold pins, is this correct for a 1948 39a? If not where do I find one?
sight.jpg
Second: is this the correct but plate for the same gun? If not, what am I looking for to make it correct? Where can I find one?
butplate.jpg
Finally when I shoot it, once in a while the next round fails to load, the spent shell ejects but the next round will not come up into position. The lever will not close at that time and I have to shake the rifle and drop the round out. When I do this the next round feeds fine. I have not done any cleaning in the mechanism yet. Is this a common problem with older 39a's, is there a remedy or is it a ammunition brand problem?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1950 39A with same question about front sight and butt plate. So I will be interested in responses you get. Regarding your feed problem, I had similar until I clean and adjusted the bullet guide located in the top of the receiver just ahead of the chamber. This flat spring was too "flat" and the bullet would jam above the chamber. Now the spring keeps the bullet guided into the chamber. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Working on my 1948 39a.

First, the sight
appears to be broken right at the back of the pin, What is the proper replacement for this? I see them on Ebay with the gold pins, is this correct for a 1948 39a? If not where do I find one?
View attachment 20919
Second: is this the correct but plate for the same gun? If not, what am I looking for to make it correct? Where can I find one?
View attachment 20920
Finally when I shoot it, once in a while the next round fails to load, the spent shell ejects but the next round will not come up into position. The lever will not close at that time and I have to shake the rifle and drop the round out. When I do this the next round feeds fine. I have not done any cleaning in the mechanism yet. Is this a common problem with older 39a's, is there a remedy or is it a ammunition brand problem?
I have a 1948 39A, and that butt plate is different than mine. I am no expert on the Marlin, but mine has the iconic thin line of unfinished walnut between the plate and the stock.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Also, as far as the front sight... you can find virtually everything you need at gun-parts.com/marlin - I have ordered a few things from them for my old Marlins, they have reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Buttplate looks fine.
Front sight ramp insert had a gold bead.
Several things could be causing the feeding issue. Push a solvent soaked patch up into the inner tube and clean it out. The inner mag tube spring may also need to be stretched out a bit. Check the "cartridge cut-off" spring just in front of the opening where the mag tube follower enters the receiver. This may need to be bent up slightly.

If you ever need originally parts, for older Marlin's, shipped correctly the first time, you should try these guys. Dick Williams Gun Shop

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Gold beads get busted when the hood is missing. You can probably get a replacement blade from Gun Parts/Numrich or look at what Brownell's has for iron sights. You can get fiber optic, white bead or gold bead these days and a couple of different diameters of bead. New ones will require fitting to the dovetail and if you try whacking one into that ramp as-is with a punch, you'll break off the ramp screws. The Williams sight pusher is the tool to use or find a smith with one and have him do it.

Why do you think the butt plate isn't the right one? Looks to be sanded flush with the stock to me and that's the way it was done, the butt plate was finished with the stock. If you buy a used plate, chances are it'll be too small or won't fit, it'll have been sanded to fit some other stock. Buttplates aren't interchangeable parts. New ones will need to be sanded or filed to fit the wood, they'll be oversized. Takes a steady hand to do that and one oops and it'll need refinishing.

There's a small flat spring cartridge stop inside that may have its mounting screw loose or you've just got a lot of years of .22 spooge in there. Read the takedown instructions, get it apart and clean and lube it, check for loose parts, tighten what needs it and try it again. Note that the finger lever is supposed to be loose on its pivot when the action is apart. Don't try torquing that screw down to tighten it up. AGI has a very good video on the 39 and its innards.

Stan S.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Buttplate looks fine.
Front sight ramp insert had a gold bead.
Several things could be causing the feeding issue. Push a solvent soaked patch up into the inner tube and clean it out. The inner mag tube spring may also need to be stretched out a bit. Check the "cartridge cut-off" spring just in front of the opening where the mag tube follower enters the receiver. This may need to be bent up slightly.

If you ever need originally parts, for older Marlin's, shipped correctly the first time, you should try these guys. Dick Williams Gun Shop
Thanks for posting that link... I'd never heard of them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still learning the inner parts of the gun. The spring that holds the rounds in the tube may be the problem. I cleaned it well and removed a bunch of gunk under it. I tried shooting it again and got another one mis fed. Opened the lever and it would not close or feed a bullet up. I actually had to take the gun apart and sure enough here was a shell doubled up coming out of the tube. I actually took the entire gun apart according to the directions found on this site and cleaned all of it.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I adjusted the feed spring with a little bend out and fed a full 10 rounds through her rifleman style with no double feeds or locking lever. Now on to replacing the front sight and getting a hood on her.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 11 of 11 Posts