Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know why but I'm drawn to old bolt action, 22 or 410 single shot shotguns and rifles. I will go to a gun show and walk around hundreds of thousands $ of guns untill I find the most beat up, abused, neglected bolt action single shot in the place. Or to the flea market under a pile of junk. That's the gun I have to have. Fix up, redo, refinish, give new life to.
In the photo "Top" is first that I have done. A Winchester model 67A, 22 made sometime before 1964 that I did in the 90s. The inside works were in good shape but needed a good cleaning. I re blued the metal, stripped the stock and refinished with stain and poly. I know some don't like stain and poly on a gun but it has held up really good.
In the photo center is my current project. A J. Stevens model 54, 410ga. Made sometime between 1933 and 1942. It's on hold right now. It was missing the bolt Assembly when I got it. Been looking for a year now with no luck. I'm on a quest now looking for it. I will find it sooner or later. The wood was nasty with several layers of gunk but no cracks or major dings. I stripped it and re finished with tru oil. I don't really know why but I don't care much for the tru oil. It looks ok but? I think I have just decided to do a re blue on the metal.
Bottom photo is my next project waiting in line. Marlin,glenfield model 15, 22. Picked it up at the gun show in Asheboro. Again the most beat up, neglected gun in the place but not real bad. No cracks but one small piece of wood chipped out next to the butt plate. The medal is not real bad but really dull. Have not decided how I will refinish stock or if I will re blue yet.
Again, I don't really know why I'm drawn to the old bolt single shot. They were good, accurate little guns that most people could afford and a lot of people started with. It usually cost more to fix up than they will be worth when finished because they are not " collectable, " so they say. Soon to be lost in history I guess. Anyway, Thanks for listening to an old gun lover.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. The 67a looks sweet. I have a Winchester 60 to do sometime. Look for posts by RTJMac as he is afflicted with old gun repair too. He does a great job documenting his repairs for all to see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way. If any of you guys come across a Stevens model 54 or 37 bolt assembly while out galavanting around give me a holler. I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Very nice work.

Welcome from SW Ohio.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Old machines renewed is one of the most rewarding endeavors I know of... thank you for sharing!

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The restoring of older guns is Noble Work. Firearms are one of the few things us humans produce
Which if cared for, can last 100 to 300 years.

Keep up the good work.... .22 rifles are always needed

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Those old single shots are fun and accurate!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do like to use TruOil ?. It does require 5- 7 coats to get a look I like. After each coat dries,
I steel Wool it down witlh 0000 . I have to be carful to brush - vacum - tack cloth off all of the tiny steel wool shavings before applying the next coat.
I ve only used it on walnut though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts