Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do with a spare 300 Winchester Magnum in your collection? Convert it to 350 Remington Magnum of course! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My Remington 798 300 Winchester Magnum is well suited for conversion to 350 Remington Magnum. It has the bolt face dimensions for the 350 Remington Magnum and the long action magazine will allow the short standard overall cartridge length of 2.800" to be increased significantly for loading heavy bullets.

Some issues have been expressed about the 350 Remington Magnum, originally chambered in the Model 600 short action carbine:

- the short action magazine length required 250gr and heavier bullets to be seated quite deep, taking up case capacity in order for the rounds to fit into the magazine,

- the original standard 1-in-16" twist barrel can't properly stabilize bullets bullets heavier than 250gr,

- and the 18-1/2" barrel length limits the full velocity potential of this round.

I have addressed these issues with my 798 long action build. :proud: :top:

The 798 is actually a Zastava Z98 barreled action with a laminate stock installed by Remington and was marketed as their Model 798. Discontinued in 2007, it was available in several common calibers (I also have a 798 in 458 Win. Mag.). This rifle features a Mauser-type action with true controlled round feed, free-floating barrel and a decent adjustable trigger. I specified a 24" barrel with a 1-in-12" twist for my 350 Remington Magnum conversion.

I've seen good results with the Woodleigh 310gr bullet on moose at 2000 fps muzzle velocity in my 358 Winchester BLR (which also has a 1-in-12" twist barrel for properly stabilizing this bullet), so I plan to use this bullet in my 350 Remington Magnum for hunting as well. The original 350 Remington Magnum Model 600 rifles have a 1-in-16" twist which isn't fast enough to properly stabilize 310 gr bullets. I have loaded this bullet in my 700 CDL 35 Whelen which has this twist rate and I don't get great accuracy.

My converted 798 rifle now has a McGowan Precision barrel as specified, free-floating as before, and the action bedding was re-done. I can seat 310gr bullets at the cannelure and the rounds cycle just fine from the magazine.

I'm thinking muzzle velocities around 2400 fps are safely achievable using Re15. Load development to begin. I will report back soon on accuracy and speed results. :cool:

Remington 798 .350 Remington Magnum with Leupold VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33mm scope

350 Remington Magnum cartridge with Woodleigh 310 gr bullet

Model 600 350 Remington Magnum rifle advertisement, circa 1965 :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
A buddy of mine hunts mule deer & coyotes with his old, original .350 Rem mag. When an uncle of his bought it back in the 1960's or 1970's, he got a case of 1,000 rounds of 200 grain soft point factory ammo. The gun now belongs to my buddy, and he's still working from that original case of ammo. His rifle has never had a scope on it. Makes big holes in mule deer and is way more than enough gun for coyotes...

In your shoes, I'd have been tempted to go with the .358 Norma magnum, for a full-length .35 cal magnum cartridge, making full use of that Mauser action. But the .350 will serve just fine I'd imagine!

Thanks for sharing the project!

Guy

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a beautiful rifle!!!!

Reactions: slamfire

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Neat idea. Short action rounds with heavy bullets have always been a poorly-executed concept, your 798/350 should realize the true potential of the round in a standard-weight gun that won't beat you to death. But I also get the feeling that you and recoil are good friends with a long history!

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Roe, I couldn't agree more. The .350 Rem mag an outstanding thumper, right up there with the .35 Whelen, and perfect for a short action rifle.

The OP's Mauser will be a neat rifle, but I wouldn't be able to resist chambering that full size action with a full size cartridge, like the .338 Win mag or the .358 Norma...

Oddly enough, I look at my Ruger Number One in .375 H&H much the same way. Talk about a short action! :biggrin: Also makes the entire rifle short and handy. It's accurate too. And I don't load my .375 bear & elk loads all that hot anyway, only about 2620 fps with the 260 gr Noslers. Excellent performance on bear so far. Recoil is not a problem.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Many years ago I bought a Winchester 70 Westerner in 300 win. I like it as is? What would I really get by converting to Rem. 350 mag.... Already have 358 BLR. Win AE 94 356 Win.?????
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Giving the 300 Win. mag. is a .308" just think of the selections of bullets that is available in .308" compare to .358"...
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
To NY - you get nothing unless you want a 350RM. It's all about sharing a choice that was made. it's not about getting others on the bandwagon. It is a good choice for the one who did the choosing. How's your Spring going? Mine went from winter to summer.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Understand your thinking but 350 rem. mag isn't that hard to get. I do like my 35 cal.s but the 358 win. is enough for me and the thought of converting a perfectly good 30+ y/o Winchester 70 300 mag. Westerner into something else is a nightmare to me. I remember on gunbroker there was a bunch of rem. NIB in 350 Rem. going for cheap couldn't sell people were looking for 308 w. in this rifle. I think it was Model 673 not sure. But yes to each their own. God bless America for choices. My summer is going slow hurricane sandy has really screwed up our waters and fishing isn't as good as before. The up side is I now belong to a up state sportsman club where I could go and shoot 200 yards and chronograph my reloads without a problem. Something I would like to do is put my chrony at 100 - 150 - 200 yards at the target just to see the velocity and determined the energy at that point.
As far as summer I'm still waiting but I just looked at the fig trees I planted in the yard and I was surprised the winter did not kill them. I guess I cover them well. Its amazing how nature keeps going on with a little help from her friend "me". I would bet this is going to be a great summer. Hey I even have a granddaughter by the name of Summer and she is a heart full of joy.
T:biggrin: NY

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Slamfire just reread your OP. with an open mind and it sound interesting. I will be following your progress good luck.
T:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I still have fond memories of the 600 carbine I had back in the early 70's. Yeah, it kicked the snot outta me but I loved the space age look of that original Remington. You've built a really great rifle with a cartridge having improved performance. :congrats:

Reactions: M700 and slamfire

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got three .350s and used to have another.
Beginning to think it's a sickness...

I'm not trying to sell anyone else on the rifles or the round, but I like loading it a little light (sort of a +P .35 Remington) for whitetail. Having the option to go with hot loads/heavy bullets for bigger stuff if I ever get the chance is just icing on the cake and helps me keep the dreams of that special "someday" hunting trip alive.
In the case of the OP's rifle, having an action, magwell and chamber throat long enough to seat bullets out to where they aren't extending down below the shoulder and impinging on the case capacity should make for a lot of fun experimenting.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you want a step up .35 from your 358 you may want to consider the 35 whelen. Your present M-70 want work as your have a magnum bolt face as well as a long action hen the 350 mag will fit into a short action. With the present component shortage being able to make 35 whelen brass from 30-06 cases along with Remington still producing 35 whelen brass has it's advantages. The down side it if you need to scratch the medium size .35 caliber you can re-barrel a standard bolt face long action M-70 or find a used .35 whelen on the used market.

I used .35 whelen like likely cost less than the gunsmithing costs $$ to convert your present M-70 300 win mag.

chocdog

1 - 20 of 58 Posts