Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My young sons first hunt. We got invited to my friends' remote cabin up here on Kodiak for opening weekend, my son as primary shot. Within our first hour of hunting we spotted these 2 spike Bucks on the beach. We headed for the high ground above them, as we crested the first buck appeared about 100 yds to our front. My boy got on his knee, lined up and hit the deer square in the lungs - bullet passed through and deer only went about 20 feet. As we moved forward, the second buck appeared and my son just dropped to his knee and took a fantastic shot - deer was facing away at about 80 yds and he put the bullet in the rear left rib and it exited just behind front right shoulder - perfect.
A fantastic weekend, a happy boy and a proud dad.
For the reloaders - 180Gr Lasercast LFN atop 15.2Gr H110. Considering the range, the brush and trees, this load was awesome.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
nbh40,
Trully impressive, but more so for his age!!! You look almost as proud as he does! Congratulations and a great start for his future hunting adventures. Legal age here in NE Pennsylvania when I started hunting was 12 years old. Shot my first at age 12 in 1965. Some good eating
at your house provided by your young son!
358 Win

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Way cool dad :) He may have just got bit by the hunting bug. My nephew has it bad ;D

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Awesome! And great shots for anybody, let alone a young guy like your son. You have taught him well. Only one of mine is real interested/has the patience to deer hunt. He has shot 3 deer, from 20-100 yds. All were text book shots. The 20 and 100 yd deer both dropped in their tracks. 50 yd deer ran a little, but more due to round than anything. He is hooked. All the kids love to eat venison and jerky!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Congratulations Dad!!! And you're son too!!!

Interesting to hear your performance results. I've just recently read two big threads about using the 357 for deer and elk and there was a lot of heated debate on it's capabilities on either class animal. Picked up a lot of good info along the way too. I've talked to guys who are into real hot loads who claim they almost never get a pass through on deer but they are using 158gr hollow points. I've tried to talk to them about using heavy cast but they barely listen. Most think if they've got high speed ammo and that don't get it done, there's no way a slower heavy bullet will.

What sort of hole size did you have? Those lasercast are pretty hard so probably didn't expand much but you got geat penetraton from the sound of things.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Way to go guys. That is a hunting trip neither of you will forget. Enjoy some fried tenderloin for all of us.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Excellent, excellent, excellent! What a great thing you're doing for your son!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Has anybody tried to wipe the smile off that lads face? That appears to be the same smile I saw on the last 100 Million dollar Lotto Winner. Great Picture, Nice Fatherly Guidance too!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
WOW! You are truly a great man, and your son is a great boy! I wish my dad had taken me hunting when I was young, but in my case, it was the other way around. I introduced my dad to deer hunting! We didn't do so good on our first deer season, but we had success on our next deer season!

Again, wow! You and your son are great hunters! Y'all and the deer make for an excellent pair of pairs! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
GREAT!!! a long life ahead of loving hunting, nature and who can tell your son a 357mag is not enough for the job....

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I hope to experience the same thing when (and hopefully if) I have a son someday! ;D ;D

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Don't get any better than that. WOW.

Mark.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
It doesn't get any better than that, congratulations on a fantastic hunt and a memory for the rest of your lives. DP

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I love these kinds of posts..........I think I was grinning as big as your son by the time I was done reading about it.

And thanks also for including the load recipe! We'd have surely asked if you hadn't.

Teaching your boy to shoot off a knee, quickly..........well done! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wait, what did you really use? We all know that a .357 can take a deer. LOL!!

Congrats to you both. I was 9 when I shot my first whitetail.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I hope my outings with my grandkids will turn out this way. AWESOME!! Happy kid, proud Pop, freezer meat and a lifetime of memories.......................It just don't get no better than this!!

Papalote

1 - 20 of 32 Posts