Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_20140608_140030817.jpg
I peeled the wood off my 1893 32-40 and did a chamber cast on it. It turns in right at .320" and I have 200 pcs of .321" dia 170gr fn bullets from western bullet co. Hopefully it will all come together in some beautiful holes on paper soon. Dies should be here tomorrow, watching the mailbox.........

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, GL I don't know if you can zoom in on the cast but the rifling goes all the way to the end of the brass. The bullets I have are for my 32 sp. there's a band forward of the crimp and upon initial test run with a dummy(don't have my dies but I cobbled a dummy together, couldn't wait) the forward band seems to be engraving. Providing some resistance on final closing of the lever. Thinking maybe need a new bullet. Not sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
sparky
i noticed the lack of a throat on that cast you may have to just seat deeper or trim brass, but my saeco 30-30
mold is the same way and i just squeeze them on in (not ideal in a hunting situation). i would just go ahead an shoot them up and buy something different next time if you dont cast. my plain base saeco mold (for a 32-40) has a tapered nose (not a bore rider) and a small forward drive band and works perfect. most of the lever guns i have played with have no or very little throat. with the mild recoil of this round and a little neck tension i dont think you would have to use the crimp groove, heck lbt dont even cut a crimp groove in his molds and they are very good.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I will dig into a new bullet as I go along. My mold selection is running a little behind right now. I'm gonna have to focus on such things soon. I've been filling in the gaps with the ready made stuff lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts