Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd post a thread on my first Marlin, but definitely not my last.

I acquired it about a week ago, when I went pawn-shop surfing to find a reasonably priced hunting rifle for this season. I had budgeted about $450 for a rifle, so I expected to find something a little cheap but still able to take a deer with.

I did not expect what I found though.

Hiding in the back corner of a Pawn-1's rack, behind several Mosin Nagants, I saw a little lever peaking out. Here's what I found.

After fondling it for a bit, I looked at the price tag.

$250.

I could not hand the man his money fast enough.

Serial number says it's from 1986, but after cleaning out 25 years worth of gunk, I found a nice bore and a smooth action. Current plans are for a large loop, and removal of the rail so I can put a brass rear peep sight on it.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but since I saved $200 out of my budget, I picked up 200rnds of 30-30 to run through it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
306 Posts
melonbuster

great find. did you mean 1968 for year made

·
Registered
306 Posts
melonbuster
three things standout about your rifle that seem to be out of place on a 1986 rifle.
first the lever should be square instead of round.
second it does not have the safety
third it has the saddle ring.
now all these things could have been changed by someone ???
if gun is from 1968 serial # should be under lever.
someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to help sort this out.
regardless of year that is a great find you can get your money back and some anytime 8)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is the Skinner Express sight in the black-gold color combo. It would look nice on that Texan with the brass saddle ring.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
nice pickup. I've been looking for a score like that on a texan for a while now. Not many pawn shops in my neck of the woods might have to look in new hampshire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Abel said:
This is the Skinner Express sight in the black-gold color combo. It would look nice on that Texan with the brass saddle ring.
I was thinking the same thing.

Also, anyone know a good source of leather stock-saddles for ammo?

·
Super Moderator
12,206 Posts
I'd say this qualifies for the MO deal of the week! Congrats on a nice rifle, I'm only slightly jealous lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts