Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been given a large amount of lead 9mm bullets heads weighing on my scales 128g
can I use then in .38sp cases on a reload? And if so I have BA10 and green dot propellant

Can any one suggest a receipt I will be using a .38/357 carbine Marlin .

Many thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
Measure the diameter of the bullets. Slug the bore of your rifle to find the groove diameter.
If the bullets are .001 to .002" greater than the groove diameter, they should work fine for a rifle. Try any of the Powder maker's websites for loading data.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Normally, 9mm lead bullets are .355 and 38/357 lead bullets are .357 0r .358. What this means is that the bullets may well be undersize for your application. This could cause excessive lead fouling of your barrel, but there is no safety issue with them. As 80hp stated, the best way to know for sure is to slug your barrel and measure the bullets. That takes a little practice to get right if you've never done it before. My advice is to load a few with middle of the road loads and see if you have lead fouling problems.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For a recipe suggestion for the Green Dot ask a question for Alliant at: http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Depending upon the hardness of the bullet, the normal .355" diameter of the 9mm may expand out to fit the bore. What you would have to worry about is if the bullet is too small there will be gas cutting around the sides resulting in leading near the throat and forward the bore from there. If any leading you experience is towards the muzzle then you may be running out of bullet lube.

One thing that sometimes works with undersize bullets is to bump them in a press to squash a tad from top to bottom to slightly increase the diameter, then run thru a Lee bullet sizing die of the proper diameter for your rifle. That may or may not be worth it depending upon what amount you consider large.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Neck tension might also be a problem with undersized bullets in the .38 Special cases. You need neck tension to hold the bullet. Do not depend on crimp to do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who responded to my questions.
The heads I am using are appx 0.135 inch shorter than my normal .38/357 should should I reduce the OAL by this amount as will have greater void in the cartridge if I dont reset my bullet seating die

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
wererabbit said:
Thanks to all who responded to my questions.
The heads I am using are appx 0.135 inch shorter than my normal .38/357 should should I reduce the OAL by this amount as will have greater void in the cartridge if I dont reset my bullet seating die

Thanks
I think you should try it with the seating die as you have it and see what it looks like. Might be better that way to put your crimp on the bullet before it begins it's taper to the nose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts