Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago, there was a 99m1 with a broken stock listed locally for a pretty decent price. I searched around until I found a stock that was all in one piece and then made the guy an offer on the rifle. The seller responded and accepted my offer, said he was out of town and would contact me the next day. A few days later I got him on the phone and set a time to do the sale. Very enthusiatac kind of guy, seemed excited to sell, sooooo. I purchased the stock, found a GREAT bargain on not 1, but 2 complete new old stock rear sights for $36 each on gunbroker. Purchased them both. Now to go pick up the rifle...... Seller disappeared from the face of the earth. Not responding to text, calls, or emails. Well Crap! Parts on the way and no rifle to put them on. I found this one on GB, had fire damage to the stock. Looked minor to me, and I already have a stock sitting here now just waiting for an action. It finally arrived today and all the metal is in great shape, bluing looks really good, and even has the push button charging handle!

pix008354020 - Copy.jpg pix320916186 - Copy.jpg image (5).jpeg image (4).jpeg image (1).jpeg

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
That is a nice clean lookin receiver on that rifle. Will that sight move rearward any? Those little 99M1s are a hoot to shoot.

Reactions: Klewless

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Very nice. You got a great deal on those sights and that replacement stock and the metal all look great. The burnt stock looks like someone left it a little close to the camp fire.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a nice clean lookin receiver on that rifle. Will that sight move rearward any? Those little 99M1s are a hoot to shoot.
Thanks. The 99 receiver is factor finish, I was pleasantly suprised when it arrived. The Glenfield 75 below is one I am putting together now. The receiver looked pretty trashed before I started. I blasted it with fine cutting sand, sprayed it with Dupli-Color, low gloss, ceramic enamal paint. Let it dry overnight, and baked it in the wife's oven @ 260 for about an hour. Tough as can be, and close to original look.

Sorry Sharpdressed, the intent of the second sight is to blank the dovetail slot and install on the Glenfield.

75 2.jpg 75 1.jpg 75 3.jpg

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Look for two letters on barrel just in front of stock, the look up month and year at the dates of manufacture thread. One of mine is
AL (Jan. 1968 ), must have been just before the S/N req. took effect. The other one I can't quite make out. I missed out on a Modeld 75 a few months ago, it was $100, I am still bummed. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Have not yet figured that out. No serial #, so pre 68
There should be two letters stamped on the side of the barrel close to the stock. The first letter is the month with A being January through L for December. The second letter is the year with F for 1962 through L for 1968. So the first letter will be A_L for the months starting with Jan. and the second letter is F_L starting with the F for 1962. Mine was DK and that would be April 1967.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks. The 99 receiver is factor finish, I was pleasantly suprised when it arrived. The Glenfield 75 below is one I am putting together now. The receiver looked pretty trashed before I started. I blasted it with fine cutting sand, sprayed it with Dupli-Color, low gloss, ceramic enamal paint. Let it dry overnight, and baked it in the wife's oven @ 260 for about an hour. Tough as can be, and close to original look.

Sorry Sharpdressed, the intent of the second sight is to blank the dovetail slot and install on the Glenfield.

View attachment 101730 View attachment 101731 View attachment 101732
No problem..I will keep lookin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There should be two letters stamped on the side of the barrel close to the stock. The first letter is the month with A being January through L for December. The second letter is the year with F for 1962 through L for 1968. So the first letter will be A_L for the months starting with Jan. and the second letter is F_L starting with the F for 1962. Mine was DK and that would be April 1967.
Removed barrel and action from the stock. I have been from breech to muzzle with a large magnifying glass. Other than the roll stamp on the barrel, I can't find even the slightest indication it was ever stamped with the 2 letter code.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if there is no serial number on the left side of the receiver,and you cant find the two letter stamp,that will mean somebody put a different barrel on that receiver,the two letter stamp is easy to see it is just infront of upper forearm wood on left side of the barrel above the stock where the front of the forearm wood does not meet the end of the stock the second letter should be the letter L for 1968,because that charging handle was only made late 68 early 69

·
Registered
44 Posts
Golphin is off on his years the 99 m1 and 989m2 where made from 1964 to 1978 so first letter is the month second letter is the year..so EXAMPLE 1964 is a A,H A is january H is 1964

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if there is no serial number on the left side of the receiver,and you cant find the two letter stamp,that will mean somebody put a different barrel on that receiver,the two letter stamp is easy to see it is just infront of upper forearm wood on left side of the barrel above the stock where the front of the forearm wood does not meet the end of the stock the second letter should be the letter L for 1968,because that charging handle was only made late 68 early 69
No stamp that I can find, serial #'s started in 68, if it was late 68 or early 69, shouldn't there be a serial # on the receiver ??

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I have a 989 m2 I just picked up and as best I can tell the letters are I J does that make it Sep 1966 ?

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Golphin is off on his years the 99 m1 and 989m2 where made from 1964 to 1978 so first letter is the month second letter is the year..so EXAMPLE 1964 is a A,H A is january H is 1964
I didn't say what years the 99 M1 was made. The years I listed were the years they used the two letters stamped on the side of the barrel and that started in 1962.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1022 that is correct IJ is september 1966 KLEWLESS serial numbers started in 1969,if you look at the upper forearm the front you will see it does not go as far as the stock about 1 half inch that is where the stamp will be on left side of the barrel..if it is not there and you do not have a serial number on the receiver someone changed the barrel with a serial numbered receiver barrel.let me ask you this on the burned stock look where the trigger sits in the stock where it is routed out long square hole,does it look like it was hand routed or by a machine,hand routed will look like a slit w at the front of the hole machine will be a perfect cut.also on the top where the receiver goes in, the wood ramps up to the forearm right where it ramps is there a router grove,or is it a smooth ramp cut.all this info will let me know the era of this rifle. now your receiver has the spring button on the handle that was produced in very late 68 and early 69 the paint was rough not smooth,is there two screws behind the trigger one being a wood screw

1 - 20 of 31 Posts