Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a Savage 99F for an extremely low cost, 1950's gun with lever safety, 300 Savage. Great bore and wood, tight action, outer metal is overall lightly pitted , flecking everywhere else, blue largely gone from the lower receiver, case coloring largely gone from lightly pitted and flecked lever . Plan to use this gun as a active hunter, and retire my other 99s that still retain most or all the original finish. Question, will parkarized do a better job of "hiding" the pitting compared to hot bluing? I don't have any issues about how the parkarized finish will look, or effecting any collectors value...what little it may have.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
graymustang,
No expert here but I'm thinking if your 99F is pitted, either finish you decide on will require buffing out the pits if possible. I have a 99EG, 300 Savage in very, very nice condition and shoot it and hunt with it. I would probably use yours just the way it is and wipe it down good with a treated rag after each days hunt. Sure would not hurt it any by using it. That 300 Savage is a killing machine. I have four of them total, the 99EG from 1956, a Remington 721 bolt gun from 1949, a Remington 700 Classic from 2003, and a Remington 7600 pump from 2006. The 300 Savage is one of my favorite cartridges of all time. No trick what so ever to get 2800 fps with a 150 grain projectile and I prefer the pointed 150 grain Winchester Power Point. Never met a 30 caliber rifle that didn't shoot that bullet accurately and deer just hate it!

358 Win

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not finishing it very valid. That was my original excuse for picking it up was, since its already abused, how much more could I possibly harm it . I may very well do just as you suggest, since its going to be a beater anyways. Now to start a war, some time back, Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine tracked deer kills at a very large hunting preserve. They measured how far a deer traveled after a lethal hit (if not DRT) from various bullets from common deer cartridge factory loads: 270, 30-06 etc. They had a sample of several hundred kills, they pronounced the Winchester Power Point the most effective. As a disclaimer, I don't currently use that bullet.

Do not believe any 35, 44 or 45 calibers were in the sample, or results may have been different.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
I got a 1950's Browning Auto 5, mechanically perfect, no finish, light pitting. Bead blasting did not hide the pits. Went sand blast, better, not perfect. Ospho'ed it, had a buddy powder coat the exterior, Black, Under Hood Accessory color. Duller than semi gloss, smoother than matte. OH man, turned out looking exactly like HK military rifle finish. Ten years later, barely a scratch. The most durable long gun finish I've seen. Just mask it from operating surfaces, it builds up a few thousandths of an inch. AC

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I read somewhere that in one of the Elk hunting states (I think Idaho) back in the 1930's a survey was done of the Elk hunters coming down off the mountains as to what caliber they were using. The 30-30 was first, 30-06 second, and the almost forgotten .300 Savage was third. That survey however, was done before Elk became bullet proof and now you need the latest rammerjammermagnum to kill one. With today's advancement in bullet technology I would not feel undergunned with any of my .300 Savages and a 150, 165 or 180 premium bullet i.e. Nosler Partition, Barnes X, or Swift. Just my two cents worth and I'm too old and grumpy to debate it.:hmmmm:

358 Win

PS: Another survey I read in the American Rifleman that the best killing deer caliber for one shot bang flops back in 1910 was the .32 Winchester Special, followed by the 30-06. For the .32 Win Special to be #1 you have to understand the history of the .32 Special. When first factory loaded by Winchester they used the 165 grain 32-40 bullet which was quite deadly on deer at .32 Win Special velocities. When a deer was hit with one of the 165 grain .32-40 bullets it ruined quite a bit of meat at the almost 700fps higher velocity of the .32 Win Special. So much so that hunters of the period complained so loud to Winchester that they came out with a full patched bullet and then developed the standard 170 grain we know today which is even faster than the original loads. No flies in the ointment concerning the .32 Win Special either.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
GM, Add me to the list of just keeping it oiled and original. Around here in the old days, they'd say that the working man hunted deer with a Win 94 30 30, while the more affluent had a Savage 99 in 300. By the way, I think you owe us a pic or two. :eating:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soon as she is out of jail, I'll post a pic. Thanks for the advice. The bullet conversation is interesting. The various controlled expansion bullets that are so popular today, have their good and bad sides. On the little skinny deer around here, some don't expand so much, and we waste a lot of time finding deer hit with them, cuz their gonna go into a thicket with little blood. With the old school common cor lokt, power points, hornady interlock, sierra's or ballistic tips etc., expansion is almost always excellent, with huge blood trails.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Soon as she is out of jail, I'll post a pic. Thanks for the advice. The bullet conversation is interesting. The various controlled expansion bullets that are so popular today, have their good and bad sides. On the little skinny deer around here, some don't expand so much, and we waste a lot of time finding deer hit with them, cuz their gonna go into a thicket with little blood. With the old school common cor lokt, power points, hornady interlock, sierra's or ballistic tips etc., expansion is almost always excellent, with huge blood trails.
Usually, when I think of 300 Savage, for some reason, the Round Nose Soft Point bullet appears in my brain. With the emphasis on long range shooting these days, nobody wants to use those of RNSP in these times. I really don't know why, as these bullets will shoot quite well out to 300 yds without any problems, and in my 300 Savage 99 that isn't D & T'd for a scope, that 300 yards would really be pushing it. I haven't had my 99 long enough to use up enough Remmy 150 gr. Corelokts to gain brass for reloading, but when I do, I going straight to those of RNSPs probably from Sierra to reload in that brass. The old RNSP works extremely well on the terminal end, and it's quite devastating. I've even thought about loading some up for my '06, but I've had too many irons in the fire, and haven't tried it yet. I just had some random thoughts about the 300 Savage, and thought I'd give it a rant here.

My '51 (C) stamped 99 is a pip, and it's quite accurate with the factory open sights. I'm leaving it that way, as it's in too good of a shape to alter.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Interesting, I have a total preference for loading 170gr RN to around 2400 fps out of my Savages, started this years ago with a 308 bolt gun. I like the old Rem 170gr cor lokt RN HP. Used a few others when my original HP supply ran low, and they worked just fine. Do the same thing in .35 loading the 180 Speer FN to 2200 in the the 35 Rem or a bit faster in the 358. As we know the pointed bullets work very well to, but prefer the RN/FP, 100 yds is a long shot in the woods.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Interesting, I have a total preference for loading 170gr RN to around 2400 fps out of my Savages, started this years ago with a 308 bolt gun. I like the old Rem 170gr cor lokt RN HP. Used a few others when my original HP supply ran low, and they worked just fine. Do the same thing in .35 loading the 180 Speer FN to 2200 in the the 35 Rem or a bit faster in the 358. As we know the pointed bullets work very well to, but prefer the RN/FP, 100 yds is a long shot in the woods.

The RNSPs I'm referring to is the regular 150 and 180 grainers normally loaded in higher velocity rifles. I never thought about loading the 170s in a 300, 308, or 30-06 case, as I felt that they are too lightly jacketed. But, if you're having success...........

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Give it a through cleaning. Inside and out. Other than that, leave as is. looks like you`ve got yourself a ....shooter.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the 30-30 170gr bullets give every indication of being to thin jacketed for max loads out a 300 Sav/308/30-06 class cartridge. An exception could be the Barnes and Nosler, never used them. Loaded down to 2300/2400 fps range, they do well on deer.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hipshot, thanks I happen to have a little AA 2520, I'll give it a wirl.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
99F Pic

Got the 99F out of jail, so here are the pics. This one a 300 Savage, has a J stamp on the leverboss so she's 1958 production. Very tight with good wood and excellent bore, receiver wasn't pitted like I thought (the store was dark), just alot of blue wear and patina, the wood has some light hunting scares, case color is completely gone from lever. As suggested, I'm not going to restore it, just clean her up. Just perfect, as I intend to put an old 2.5X Redfield Wideview on it, and hunt it hard, won't be concerned with any new dents. The other rifle is another 99F, L code 1960 production (tang safety), 300 Savage that's been in use for awhile, going to convert it over to peep sights.

What I like about the 99F (featherweight) models is that they are so light, both these rifles weigh just a little less than 6 1/4 LB, with the thin barrel and hollow butt. Appreciated everyone's comments.

20140412_190748.jpg 20140412_190735.jpg 20140412_190555.jpg

·
Super Moderator
24,928 Posts
Got the 99F out of jail, so here are the pics. This one a 300 Savage, has a J stamp on the leverboss so she's 1958 production. Very tight with good wood and excellent bore, receiver wasn't pitted like I thought (the store was dark), just alot of blue wear and patina, the wood has some light hunting scares, case color is completely gone from lever. As suggested, I'm not going to restore it, just clean her up. Just perfect, as I intend to put an old 2.5X Redfield Wideview on it, and hunt it hard, won't be concerned with any new dents. The other rifle is another 99F, L code 1960 production (tang safety), 300 Savage that's been in use for awhile, going to convert it over to peep sights.

What I like about the 99F (featherweight) models is that they are so light, both these rifles weigh a just little less than 6 1/4 LB, with the thin barrel and hollow butt. Appreciated everyone's comments.

View attachment 99775 View attachment 99776 View attachment 99777
Very nice Savage rifles! My cousin used nothing but his Savage 99 in 300 Savage when we hunted together in WA state almost 40 years ago. I always thought lever guns were passe back then--most hunters I knew used bolt rifles in that era. What did I know?--not much since I use nothing but Marlins today in the thick VA hardwoods. I finally got smart and hunted with a Marlin 30-30 25 years ago while at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. I have considered buying a Savage 99 in 300 Savage but can't justify it since I have a 308MX. The 308 ME and 300 Savage are very similar ballistically. But I know your Savage 99 can do anything a 308MX can do--just with a little more style! Can't beat the old classic calibers! :biggrin:

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Guys/Gals,
I did the 170 grain 30-30 bullet thing in my .308's long before the advent of Nosler Ballistic Tips. Drove them to 2500 fps for quicker kills so I put my tag on any deer I shot. At the time I used the 170 grain Speer Hot Core bullet and every Whitetail that was hit with that bullet, even stem to stern, had an exit wound. In fact I never even found a piece of one of those 170 grainers. I now use the RP RNCL HP 170 grainers. My old ammo boxes of 30-30 and .32 Special 170 grain HPCL state that the HPCL is designed for deeper penetration than the standard Core-Lokt soft points. When loaded in the .300 Savage to 2500 fps, those 170 grain HPCL bullets just chop a ragged hole when using my Savage 99EG. I liked them so much that I bought 1500 of them and still have about a 1000 remaining.

An interesting tid-bit concerning my Savage 99EG. The lever boss code indicates the receiver was made in 1952 and put on the shelf for later use. A letter and payment to Savage historian, John Calahan states my EG was manufactured in 1956 but did not ship from the warehouse until 1962. Not surprising to me as the .308 Win was announced by Winchester in 1952 and every manufacturer was jumping on the band wagon. 1956 was the year that Savage lengthened the 99 ejection port to accept the longer .308 Win. I doubt any game animal would know the difference between the .300 Savage and the .308 Win when struck by either. Here's my .300 Savage rifles. Left to right, my 99EG, my Remington 722 from 1949, my Remington 700 Classic from 2003 and my 7600 Remington pump from 2006.
358 Win

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Good info 358 Win, answered to long term questions. What year was the Savage 99 receiver change, 1956. And that Remington designed the .30 170 gr RNHP to be a more controlled expanding bullet than the RNSP. In reading the various threads, it is apparent some us of have discovered the virtues of driving such bullets fast. The amount of people who object to it is large. I can only assume they get their bullet performance information from a manual, magazine or add, and not field experience. Thanks for the Powder River tip earlier, on the bullets.

Is the Remington 722, a relatively light rifle, say under 7.5 lb? I would like to pick up a 300 Savage bolt, don't know if Win, Rem or SAV would be preferred? This would sighted for a hot loaded, longer range spitzer bullet. Need to harmonize the truck deer season ammo can, right now it has 300 SAV, 358, 356, 25-06, 22 Hornet, 22 Mag and 12ga Buck rounds in it. If I get a good 300 SAV bolt, should be able to move the 25-06 off. I've already decided to retire the 358, as the 356 has been on the job for me longer. That would leave the 300 SAV and 356 Win as the in use hi-powers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts