Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an early 989M2 (no serial number, 'FJ' code). From everything I can see it doesn't look like this one has ever been taken down. I want to give it a good cleaning and lube, replace the buffer, etc. before shooting it. I'm having a problem getting the barrel band off. I've never had this issue before but on this gun it looks like the wood just forward of the band on the lower stock has expanded slightly. It's like there is a very small area that is angled outward. I know it wasn't made this way, but this isn't like the stock warped from dampness/water either. The angle is completely uniform the whole way around the lower stock. Had anyone experienced this, and if so how did you deal with it. The first thing that came to mind was to carefully mask off the band and very carefully try to sand the area flat, but that's not going to look too swift and this gun has a really nice original stock that I didn't want to refinish if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I also have the M2. I don't see an advantage taking off the band to check the buffer ?
Doubt if much under the hand guard or main stock really needs attention. Just clean the action and look for cracks in the buffer then just enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, and forgive me if I'm missing something or explained myself wrong. If you don't remove the band and the upper hand guard, how do you pull the action/barrel assembly out of the lower stock?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thousand pardons, don't know what I was thinking -- late Saturday brain fart. I see your worries about breaking off a chip out of that raised section. Really not much work involved to take an exacto and whittle down the excess to remove the ring then sand the wood smooth and add a coat of clear lacquer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't sweat it, been there - done that too. Yeah, I guess that's where I'm headed with this. I think I'll tape a couple of layers of masking tape over the band to protect the finish and start out with some 220 sandpaper before resorting to the razor/exacto. It really doesn't look like it's that much needing to be removed. I just was hoping to not have to disturb the original finish. Hopefully a little Old English, tong oil, etc. can make it go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts