Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a line on mint 982 VS CF with a cheap Bushnell scope for $250. I have a boat load of mags from the 882 that will fit. Should I pull the trigger?

Don't see much dialog on the 982 here. The $250 isn't much below what this rifle sold for new at the right discounter; but there will never be another like this from Marlin.

I figure I can't get hurt too bad at the asking price but feel it should be more like $215.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I'm not sure about that price, but I just ran into the same situation. There was a Marlin 30AS that I was looking at that I thought was priced about 30 dollars more than I wanted to pay.

I asked pretty much the same question here; should I buy it or pass. Some people said buy it, that I won't mind the little extra once I get it in my hands and others said that it was a gawd awfullest Marlin they ever saw and that I should run away as fast as I could.

I finally came to the conclusion that only I could decide whether to buy it or not. I realized that if I if had really wanted it, I just would have bought and my post would have been "look at what I bought" not "should I buy it".

So since I didn't buy it, I am still looking. Can you tell me about the 336 you found?

Thanks,
-Bob George

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I can - It's a 336 but does not have the RC after the model number. When I saw it on the rack I figured it was from the 60s due to the thin blue on the metal in the receiver area. It's from the 70s though. Don't recall the serial number right now but it's pre-safety. Wood shows some hard use or disrespect. Comes with a Redfield 4X Widefield, a sling and a butt cartridge holder.

It's at the Waukesha, WI Gander Mountain.

Not a bad price for a Marlin given how much the prices have been run up lately.Metal is fine, just needs to have the wood worked on.

I'm kind of waiting for the enablers to say, "Buy it, buy it now re the 982." Never going to see a 982 VS CF again. I think I know what I want to do. Just looking for some backing.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Here is a thread about standard barrel Marlin vs bull barrel:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=88848

However, there seems to be more concern about marlin's Heavy Trigger and having to replace it. Several Savage guys chimed in for the accutrigger.

You want a vote? I think I'll vote for Savage in this case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are ways to correct the bad trigger pull on the 982vs that don't cost that much. Maybe just a little time and elbow grease. Check triggers on gunsmithing. Swany is the man. I am very satisfied with the outcome on my 982vs trigger.Both in trigger pull and cost. Quick

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Quickshot said:
There are ways to correct the bad trigger pull on the 982vs that don't cost that much. Maybe just a little time and elbow grease. Check triggers on gunsmithing. Swany is the man. I am very satisfied with the outcome on my 982vs trigger.Both in trigger pull and cost. Quick
Amen to that, 15 minutes of trigger/sear honing and my old 25MN was perfect :)

Mind you, we also have a guy who ordered the new XT-22 trigger to see if it was a drop-in fit on his 982VS...
once the trigger arrives & the work is finished, he'll publish the results, & I'll pass the word all over the place ;)

All the Savage has is a good trigger, the Marlin's got a noticeably better Micro-groove barrel.
The thing that you have to figure is whether you wanna do the trigger work yerself,
or buy a drop-in Rifle-Basix trigger, or hang loose & wait for the OEM XT-22 surgery results to come back.
Either of the three should have you shooting Smiley-Faces in your targets after you figure out which ammo works best in it.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 982 was still on the rack last Thursday. The 336 and a DPMS Panther 16 blew off the shelf in no time. I figure I'll go back next week and see if I can negotiate the price down a bit. Don't think 22 mags are flying off the shelves so we'll see. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts