Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some opinions on these two models from the members here.

I have been impatiently waiting for the XT22 line to make it 'north of the border'. Problem is I have a better chance of getting molasses to run up hill in January than finding a Marlin retailer that can get an XT22(anything) anytime soon.

I did find a retailer who is still selling the 980 model (new) for $375 who will ship immediately.

My question. If you had a choice. Would you wait for the XT or grab the 980 at twice the price?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm exactly in your same boat.

I'm anxiously awaiting the XT-22TSR also.

In the meantime, I've been trying to find the elusive 981TS (at a decent price) for months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you pacpiper.
I'm giving the XT one more week. If they're still not available, I'll eat the price of the 980 :'(

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow, $375 :eek:

I didn't even notice that when I read your post the first time.

Does this retailer have any others in stock. I assume this is the SS one (given the price)

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
I'd choose the 980............Or, the North Haven rifle...................I did the release of the XT rifles, before I left North Haven.........I'm not impressed with them.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piper - Yup he still has "some" as of today. I'm not sure he can export to the States, if you were thinkung that way.

Tom - I apprecate the input.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to hold off on toy purchases for a bit. I just left 1200 hard earned dollars at Home Depot tonight for cedar deck material tonight. :'(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tomray said:
I'd choose the 980............Or, the North Haven rifle...................I did the release of the XT rifles, before I left North Haven.........I'm not impressed with them.

Tom
What was the problem with the XT's you released?? The few (very few) that have been purchased and reviewed seem to indicate standard Marlin, entry level 22 fit, finish and function. Just curious as I'm also looking into the XT equivalent to the 981.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
Eric0424 said:
What was the problem with the XT's you released?? The few (very few) that have been purchased and reviewed seem to indicate standard Marlin, entry level 22 fit, finish and function. Just curious as I'm also looking into the XT equivalent to the 981.

The bolt has been changed,the front and rear sections are held together with a complicated little collar nut, and now special tools are required to assemble and dis-assemble. ::) The fire control improvement is questionable in my mind, I thought the Series 900 fire control system was done well........the only thing different now, is the Savage style disconnect lever, and the MIM housing. ::).........probably safer, though.........
The cocking device is a little unorthodox, in my mind, as the cocking cam is now a roller that runs in the bolt slot of the receiver. The stocks are plastic,and being modular, will show some parting lines here and there.
Don't forget who set the price point on this series, either....As you stated, "Entry Level" ...........I think the older 800 and 900 series rifles are better rifles...................They're just not as exciting to look at...............But they ARE proven for accuracy and reliability over many years....

Tom

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the info. Tom. I'll take a closer look at one and see if the changes are worth the adjustable trigger. If not I'll try to find a 981 and add a Rifle Basix or Jard trigger. I'm not worried about the stock though, it was to be replaced with wood anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts