Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working with a friend of a friend on this one for awhile! Picked up this 1907 vintage '97 Marlin today! Owner said it's been in his family for several generations, but thought his grandfather bought it from another friend, so it wasn't purchased new.
Anyway, it's in pretty decent shape, with Marbles tang sight, and Beeches combo front sight. It will make a nice addition, as I have a roundtop first year 1897, and wanted a later flat top '97.

G

·
That sure is a special rifle. I can see why you folks get into these old classics and although I truly admire them I hope that bug doesn't bite me. I am admiring that 97 round top on auction arms right now and foolishly thought for a few hours that I should bid on it.

I am patiently hanging onto my meager stash waiting for an 1897 CB model which should be mine within the next month. I hope.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Vall,
Very nice '97, nice to see original case colors.

I for one was amazed by the amount of recased marlin
rifles that I came across at the Denver show and of course
other than a few honest boys they weren't letting
you know. I would pry a bit and I could only
get about 1/3 to say "it is what is?"
They others no remorse. 3000+ tags

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! That's what I like about guns with a little "character"! They usually have enough wear to assure me they are not refinished. They also bring lower prices, as refinished guns nowadays seem to ask for the highest prices when they're done well!
This one has some freckles in the barrel bluing, but still 90-95% bluing remains. The right side of the receiver is a small amount less color, but still extremely nice! Wood and varnish are all as original except for a small amount of flaking near the buttplate.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
mm93,

I haven't been on MO for a while but this new purchase of yours sure made logging on worth it!!!! That is my kind of rifle and I would just itch to shoot a silhouette match with it!! It's just perfect in my book.

Apple and pear crop and kids are all fine. So far, so good. And the Mariners have won 3 straight! Keep that eye out for an 1893 for me!

All the best!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Geoff and WK!
Geoff,
I bet you're starting to get pretty busy with the orchard now? Not nearly as busy as this fall though, huh?

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is a beauty, and it has the old style ejector, not the later kind held in with two screws that is a pain to clean around, so that is nice. Don't know why they ever went away from that old style ejector as it was so easy to take in and out when you wanted to clean the bore. Beautiful case colors too! Have fun shooting that one, and thanks for letting us all see it :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts