Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is supposed to hold 9 rounds of 357 magnum. I have not shot it yet.

On another forum someone mentioned removing a plug to increase the tubular magazines capacity.

How is this done?

I have wanted one of these guns for many years an can't wait for nicer weather to shoot it.

Thanks for any help.

G

·
gs-

not entirely sure this can be done on the carbine. I know on the 24" barreled cowboy rifles, the plug can be taken out to increase capacity from 10 to 12 rather easily, and maybe even 13, as this is what my vintage '94 in .38-40 will hold.

what you do is unscrew the screw at the bottom of the magazine tube near the muzzle, and pull out the end cap. Be sure to have the rifle unloaded of course and pointing in a safe direction as the spring may whiz out of there.....
hope this helps
-Stone

G

·
The 1894C (Carbine) doesn't have a mag plug, but can be made to hold 10 357/158gr with some trimming of the mag spring. It should be about 2" longer than the tube. You will have to trim a little, try your rounds for fit, and trim some more if necessary. Mine will hold 10 158gr RNFP with the spring so trimmed. A side benefit is that the rounds will be easier to insert into tthe mag. I have had no feeding problems after making this modification, and was given instructions on this by Coyote Cap, as well as others who are quite knowledgable in Marlin gunsmithing.

Hope this helps,
Ringo

·
Registered
5 Posts
1894C capacity

I cut the spring on mine as was mentioned, cut it about 2 inches longer than the tube, I cut off about 8 inches from it.

Capacity is 10 rounds.

ALJ

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can something similar be done to the 94SS in .44 mag? I just bought mine a little over a week ago and haven't yet shot it (hip deep snow, near 0 temperatures). The 94SS is already set to hold 10; can it be increased to 12 or so?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My Cowboy Limited II holds 13 rounds with the "plug" out. And its even LEGAL now. It has a 24 inch Bbl.

·
Registered
45 Posts
24thMich said:
Can something similar be done to the 94SS in .44 mag? I just bought mine a little over a week ago and haven't yet shot it (hip deep snow, near 0 temperatures). The 94SS is already set to hold 10; can it be increased to 12 or so?

24th Michigan,

If you need/want full power .44 magnum loads, then you will be limited to the 10+1 rounds in your 1894SS. With .44 Specials you can get 11+1. If you handload, you can get 12+1 of .44 S&W Russian ammo, but the OAL must be a minimum of 1.33" or improper cycling and jamming will occur. The max OAL must be 1.38" to get all 12 rounds in the tube.

So, if you don't handload, it's 11 total rounds of .44 magnum or 12 rounds total of .44 Special. Roll your own .44 Russians and get 13 total rounds. Look for a sale on CCI Blazer .44 Special ammo. Sometimes you can get it for $15/box of 50.

The above figures are for my 1894S. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
capacity

Sorry to dredge up such an ancient thread, but it seemed appropriate for my question. My winchester 94 trapper holds 9 44 mag cartridges in its magazine with only a 16 1/4 inch barrel. Why only 10 shells for the much longer marlin 1894 (20")? Is it a question of spring compression, the size of the follower, etc. I am just curious what they do with that almost 4" of extra space...

captainkirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts