Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a local flea market today and saw a model 94 in 30-30. Not too bad of shape. Looked to be a decent shooter or hunter.
Question is what is a fair price for them? How do you tell what year of birth? Idk much about them.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i'd say somewhere between $150 to $150,000 depending on which model. no way to get closer without a lot more information. pictures?
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's kinda what I'm asking. What to look for. Looked like it was a short barrel. Maybe 20 inches. The mag tube was the same length as the barrel. Didn't see a safety on it.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
The pre 64's are the only ones worth looking at in my opinion. I can tell the difference at glance but if you're new to Win 94's, stay below 2,700,000 on the serial number. Anything under 1,200,000 is going to be considered a per war 94 and is worth more. The year of mfg is determined by the serial number. Mostly, you're going to encounter 20" carbines, then rifles, and if your're lucky a trapper.

Windy's estimate of $150 to $150,000 is the truth. Depending on caliber, variation, and what year plus condition, condition, and condition is going to put the value in such a parameter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. I'm really just interested in one for plinking and hunting. Have a 336 and and 1895. I'm much more of a fan of the marlins but getting a 94 for hunting at a good price would be good. I just don't know much about them.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
For a run of the mill 94, $300-400 is the going rate around here. But like said above, it could be worth anywhere from $150 on up.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
For a pre-'64 Model 94, I have found the prices to be about $100 to $200 more than a 336 in equal condition for a good to very good one.

Also if it is a short barrel, check to make sure if it is a Ranger or not.

Bill

·
Registered
656 Posts
standard post 64 200 in excellent shape.
Pre 64 standard model around 400 in my neck of the woods,the older they are the more there worth .
The pre 64's are real nice Firearms.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am betting post 1963 to be at a flea market. Approx 1983 the angle eject models came out; serial approx 5,300,000. There were two types of safeties. Cross bolt approx. 6,000,000 then at approx. 6,450,000 that changed to tang safety.

I prefer the pre '64s, but would consider an angle eject since that's when Winchester went back to forged parts, plus you can scope them if you want to. There were 700,000 made before the safety was added.

What was the asking price?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were asking $350 and a lot of their stuff seemed overpriced so I didn't even haggle with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.