Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Shot my first CAS match this weekend. All went well except my Marlin Cowboy 94 limited, 45lc had three light strikes that did not fire. The gun was preowned and it still has the two-part firing pin. Is this likely the cause or are there other factors I should check out? I had fired several hundred practice range rounds before with no light strikes. Will changing to one piece pin with new springs correct this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It may have a light main spring in it already. If you're rolling your own, what brand of primer are you using? Also there could be some crud in the firing pin aperature in the bolt that might cause this as well. My bet would be on a real light spring, with lightened springs, Federal primers are the best to use. If it won't fire Fed's, then it's too light or something is making the pin drag.....Buck 8) :wink:

·
Registered
339 Posts
SaukValley Sam said:
:?: Shot my first CAS match this weekend. All went well except my Marlin Cowboy 94 limited, 45lc had three light strikes that did not fire. The gun was preowned and it still has the two-part firing pin. Is this likely the cause or are there other factors I should check out? I had fired several hundred practice range rounds before with no light strikes. Will changing to one piece pin with new springs correct this?

Thanks.
I changed to Evil Roys one piece an it helped, but his kit also uses a weaker hammer spring and lever latch spring to make the action work a lot easier. I still had occasional misfires, untill I switched to Federal primers and havent had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
If theres a light hammer spring in the gun & it still has the 2 piece pin this isn't uncommon. If its a stock mainspring it oughtta work.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Take the stock off and put a small washer or two on the hammer strut between the spring and the stamped steel piece that retains the spring.
This should increase the strike force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts