Marlin Firearms Forum banner

94 and ready and still working.

434 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ClipperKing 
#1 ·
Finally finished the firing pin. Had another member scanned there model 20 which I was able to size and use as a template. It's a decent shooter. 1924 M-37. Measuring instrument Circle
Circle

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yes sir. I had an old gate latch in the scrap box that was the correct thickness. So I cut the paper template out and laid it on the clean metal and spray painted it. Remove the paper template and you have your work set out. Cutoff wheel, bench grinder, die grinder, files and stones. A lot of in and out with the bolt and receiver.

#5 ·
There out there. Just a lot more Remington and Winchester's that cost more. The Marlin 37 is in my opinion a well designed rifle so if you find one you'll enjoy it. I grew up shooting pump shotguns and rifles so I tend to prefer them.

#6 ·
Nice work on making a fire pin from an old gate latch. I'm no expert, but isn't the metal from a gate latch too soft for the purpose of a fire pin?
I understand an old gate latch was what you had available to you, and you were able to get the gun back up and running.
great ingenuity and craftmanship.

#7 ·
I can see where hardness might be an issue with certain types of actions. However if the metal is to hard it's prone to break at the point of impact. With this pin there are three points of impact, the pin where it strikes the rim of the cartridge, the heel where the hammer strikes and the rear lug where it engages the locking lug. I did harden the heel where the hammer strikes so it won't mushroom. The reminder I left alone so that it has the ability to absorb the impact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.