Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i picked up a 93 saddle ring carbine, later manufacture one after WWI. s/n 3958 in 32 H.P.S. with bullseye in stock. The blue book says later ones didn't have a ring, wondering if the book is wrong ,or this was special ordered with a ring. can anyone give me a close manufacturing date? i know its supposed to be after 1922 because of the bullseye, thanks. Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I presume you mean Fjiesteds, which for sure isnt the last word on vintage guns, nor probably modern ones either. ;)

Sounds like you have a neat rifle, even if you have one that the "blue book" claims was never made. ;D

Post a pic if possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm still trying to get my wife to take pictures of the 2 1895's in .33 cal,!!! maybe this weekend i can bribe her enough to take pictures of all three. Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Right, on the after 1922. If I had to make a guess I would say the 1923/1924 time frame. What name did Marlin use on the barrel such as Marlin Firearms Corporation? Is the serial number located under the lever? I assume there is no star by the Model 93 stamp on the upper tang. Thanks, Parley

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parley, How ya doing? Marlin Firearms Corporation, the serial number is under the lever, interesting about the star,i pulled the buttstock off to check the serial no,the first number was poorly stamped looked like a 8 ,on the tang and buttstock i could tell the first number was a 3, and there was a star stamped on the side of the tang but not on the top. any thoughts on the saddle ring ,common or not on late guns? thanks. Don

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Saddle rings are very uncommon on guns with the markings your's has. Not totally unheard of, as the Corp. was still assembling guns with parts built prior to WWI, so they may have had a receiver drilled for a saddlering. I've also seen Corp. marked saddlering receivers with plug screws in the staple hole. From the age and condition the screws appeared to have been there since new.
You may want to pull the breechbolt and look at the staked ends of the saddlering just to determine if it looks "factory" or not. The factory ends are hollow and perfectly staked because they had a tool to do it right. I've seen a few that had staples either replaced or added, and the staking was easy to see as it was pretty roughly done.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vall, By the looks of the old oil,crud around it ,id say its original, also the case colors are worn where the ring hits the receiver ,but not around the base of the staple. is the star on the side of the tang a bit strange?. I will pull the bolt anyway and check. Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Don

Thanks for getting back to me with the information. Actually there are a few I have listed as having saddle rings. I would say they would be scarce but not unheard of. As the data we are gathering becomes more complete this is something we can estimate as to what percentage had saddle rings. Maybe in a couple of years we will have a pretty good picture of the Model 93 production and makes some percentage calls.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went out and pulled the buttstock off and looked at the saddle ring staple ends inside the frame looks like each one just had one center punch mark ,expanding them just a small amount. they were not all squashed or bent.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well heres a couple pictures i took of the carbine, again its silvery with some case colors ,but my picture taking and a flash made it look all silver. Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts