Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 917VS and was wondering what shoots well in your rifles ? I got a box of the Remington's and a box of the Hornady with the V-Max bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
You'll probably find the hornadys shoot best, but each rifle is different and may not. It wouldn't hurt to try other loads if they don't shoot to your expectation. Mine likes the hornadys or the federal Vmax best, shoot about the same, .6"-.8" 100yd groups. It will more than likely take 150-200 rounds for the barrel to settle down, though.....but I've seen em shoot .75" right out of the box, too!! That's if you can get used to the trigger, which can be fixed with either a shim job or adding a Rifle Basix drop in. Best regular price on the RB trigger is at Midsouth, but Midway happens to have it on sale for $60 for another week...

Tim

http://imageevent.com/richinva/marlin917vs

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=253264

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00213MAR917

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shot three groups with the Hornady V-MAX on the 4th largest was .625" and smallest was .248": 3 shots 100 yards. Didn't try the Remington's yet, I can't imagine they will be much better. Had a 4-12 Leupold on the gun and had installed a Rifle Basix trigger set at about 2 pounds. I'm satisfied :D

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Try some 5 shot 100yds groups, but don't ask why one of em always wants to be a loner and not join the group!! :? Flyers and Hmrs have been discussed a lot at RFC with no remedy, weight grouping, rim thickness, COL.....

Tim

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Try some 5 shot 100yds groups, but don't ask why one of em always wants to be a loner and not join the group!! :? Flyers and Hmrs have been discussed a lot at RFC with no remedy, weight grouping, rim thickness, COL.....

Tim
Just wait until SK-Jagd/Lapua/Wolf jump onto the HMR/HM-2 bandwagon :p

To my mind, sub .24" at 100 is dagnabbit fine shootin- even if it is only a 3 shot group. I had enough trouble getting in under .24" for 5 shots at 25 yds ,with a .22 LR, before I got a hold of some Lapua...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
That would be nice, Doc!!! Some premium ammo for the 17hmr would be nice, but I don't know if the market is there for $15-$20 a box hmr ammo. Eley is making their own 17M2 ammo from what I've read, not sure of that, though, and those at RFC aren't please with its accuracy at all. Since CCI is the only mfr of 17hmr ammo at this time, we may never see the others producing it cuz of the cost....but we can always hope!!

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quickdtoo said:
That would be nice, Doc!!! Some premium ammo for the 17hmr would be nice, but I don't know if the market is there for $15-$20 a box hmr ammo. Eley is making their own 17M2 ammo from what I've read, not sure of that, though, and those at RFC aren't please with its accuracy at all. Since CCI is the only mfr of 17hmr ammo at this time, we may never see the others producing it cuz of the cost....but we can always hope!!

Tim
I'm not crazy about $10 a box much less 15-20. Strange I don't mind spending large amounts on reloadable cartridges , but I hate spending an extra dime on rimfires :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts