Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to pass this on to my fellow marlin lovers. I loaded up 20 rounds of the Sierra's 90gn. with AA2700. I loaded 5 with 51gns of powder, 5 with 53grns., 5 with 54grns., and 5 with 56grns. I shot them out of my xl7c which is topped with a weaver classic k-6. The rifle is sighten in with winchester power points in 130 grn. I first started off with the 56 grn and had a decient group but made 3 separate holes. Next I went to the 54grn loads and got much better group...only made 2 holes. Next I shot the 53grn load and bingo I believe I found my load. Went ahead and shot the 51grn loads and my groups opened back up again. Oh I almost forgot my OAL was 3.200. I use a mix of winchester brass and federal brass with WLR primers. I will post pics in the morning of my targets.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
muss1980 said:
Try just one brand of brass and see what groups you get next. Keep us posted with pisc thanks
+1 on that, and uniform your primer pockets and debur them after the cases are all trimmed to the same length. ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 90gn. Sierra varminter for 270win.(pics added)

The first picture is 51gn. of AA2700. I do not have a picture of what 56gn. looks like but it was the same as this load. The next one is 53gn. of AA2700 and it seemed to be the best for my gun. Next is 54gn. which is a close second. Finally the last is factory 130gn. silver tips 2 shots. I was aiming for the center of the bar code. All hand loads were 3 shots @ 70 yds in prone position. I used my soft case to rest the forearm and steddy the but with my left hand (right had shooter)As I said before my xl7 is sighted in with Winchester power points and as you can see my POI is the same. This was an attempt to find a good varmint round for my 270. I was considering selling my xl7 and buying a Savage in 22-250 but I think I will keep this gun.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Is that bottom picture a price check? ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
FINALLY...Someone with a 270 using AA2700 and a 90 grain Sierra HP. I just got an old Mauser 98 (Large Ring) with a new looking 270 barrel. I put in a sporter stock and had to make some fitting adjustments. Looks good now! I had some AA2700 powder and some 90 grain Sierra HP and some 130 Grain Speer Spitzers. It has been a while since I reloaded and now I've got the fever again! I have started trying to dial it in on the 90's and everything seems to point to...guess what?...53 grains of AA 2700!!! Can't wait to get it on a benchrest...Anybody had good luck with Varget?...I have got some of that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts