Marlin Firearms Forum banner

'89 38-40 MINT bore!

781 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pathfinder65 
#1 ·
I have looked down the bore of a bunch of late 1800s-early 1900s rifles, & due to the corrosive primers & black powder loads, many were dark sewer pipes. Some others were brighter but somewhat worn & pitted. VERY few were nice bores, but they were on Deluxe rifles that never got shot or hunted with.
When I saw this one, I had to have it. The bore looks like it came out of the factory yesterday. Unfortunately, a long time ago someone decided that the forestock was too slippery to carry while hunting & carved on some checkering.
Since I am more of a shooter than collector, it does not bother me & lends a bit of personality to the rifle.
I have not shot it yet, but have High Hopes for it.

Amongst some of my Cowboys and the Mint bore (Cell phone pic does not cut it though!)
Air gun Shotgun Folk instrument Flageolet Pipe
Vehicle Car Room Auto part Furniture

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice looking rifle CJ57, what is it's favorite load?
I loaded up a few rounds each using some Tight Group, Green Dot, AA2 & 2400 behind a Lee 175 gr. TC bullet to try tomorrow.
Also just got in an accurate mold in 160 gr. rnfp (has a crimp groove) & have some Oregon Trail 180s coming.
And, I found a Marbles tang sight on Ebay that that will be here in a few days.
& that will help in load development!
Always fun seeing how a new rifle will shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.