Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked down the bore of a bunch of late 1800s-early 1900s rifles, & due to the corrosive primers & black powder loads, many were dark sewer pipes. Some others were brighter but somewhat worn & pitted. VERY few were nice bores, but they were on Deluxe rifles that never got shot or hunted with.
When I saw this one, I had to have it. The bore looks like it came out of the factory yesterday. Unfortunately, a long time ago someone decided that the forestock was too slippery to carry while hunting & carved on some checkering.
Since I am more of a shooter than collector, it does not bother me & lends a bit of personality to the rifle.
I have not shot it yet, but have High Hopes for it.

Amongst some of my Cowboys and the Mint bore (Cell phone pic does not cut it though!)
38-40 gun rack.jpg
38-40 mint bore.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Great find!! I've found a lot of rifles in the same condition you mentioned. I don't think the .38-40's got used a much as the 44's and 32's. I found a 1873 Winc in .38-40 last summer. I was surprised how nice the bore was and it shoots great!!
I really like the character your rifle has, worn and used but not abused!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking rifle CJ57, what is it's favorite load?
I loaded up a few rounds each using some Tight Group, Green Dot, AA2 & 2400 behind a Lee 175 gr. TC bullet to try tomorrow.
Also just got in an accurate mold in 160 gr. rnfp (has a crimp groove) & have some Oregon Trail 180s coming.
And, I found a Marbles tang sight on Ebay that that will be here in a few days.
& that will help in load development!
Always fun seeing how a new rifle will shoot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts