Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
883ss 22 Mag Question

Hi all!

I am new to the forum, but not new to Marlin. I currently own three, but I know that count will grow.

Recently (yesterday!) I bought a 883ss 22 mag. I am been wanting this gun for quite a while and the price with the accessories it was touting was a price I was comfortable with. I couldn't believe I came across one at the shop I never stopped at before and at the time all seemed to check out quite well.

However, upon a but further inspection at the house I have a feeling something is wrong with the bolt. I normally shoot centerfire and do understand this varies from rimfire, but my 883 seems a bit clunky and loud.

I hope some of the marlin experts here can help.

There are a few issues I wanted to highlight:

1. There seems to be a lot of play in the bolt when the bolt is open.
2. When closing the bolt there is a loud click before the downward motion.

I have a video posted to youtube to show these characteristics: https://youtu.be/0pXIZMBntM4

To me, it does not seem to be quite right, and I am not sure if parts need to be replaced. If it does need work the shop I got it at will cover it from 2 weeks to purchase!

Here is a pic as well:

VZM.IMG_20170107_205152.jpg

Thanks all for your help!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't worry about the looseness of the bolt. It travels smoothly so as long as it locks up tight it should be alright. It looks like the striker knob is moving a little and there's that click when you close the bolt. Not sure what that is. Before I viewed the video I thought maybe the firing pin was being released, i.e. perhaps from a worn sear. I suggest pulling a bullet from a 22 WMR case, emptying the powder and using it to test the striker and firing pin. After you have the empty case prepared open the bolt and place the case into the chamber. Close the bolt and then open it again. This will also test the extractor and ejector. Examine the rim of the case. Make sure there's no mark on it. Then repeat the process, but this time pull the trigger and check the case rim again. You should have heard a small pop and the rim should have the firing pin mark on it. In the video the bolt appears in the cocked position from the very beginning. You can release firing pin by closing the bolt while pulling the trigger. Of course you could always just take it to the range for a test run.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Take it back, let them check the bolt, as puma said it lock up but that click makes me wonder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take it back, let them check the bolt, as puma said it lock up but that click makes me wonder.
Agreed ... the play in the bolt when is open seems normal, but the click when locking up is not something I've heard of.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I own this very model, but I need to get home and put mine in my hand, but before I do.....Seems like it locks down nice and tight, I think that click you have seems like it's where the bolt resets the hammer (the rear portion that fly's forward hitting the firing pin).

Put in a spent shell, or snap cap, rack the bolt, pull the trigger, and drop the hammer. Once you have dropped the hammer see if the click happens when you open the bolt. These guns (haven't had mine out in a while!) reset the hammer when you work the bolt. I'm wondering if your bolt is dead bone dry inside? It seem like the cam inside is operational. The click may just be because it's dry?

I'll pull mine out tonight and see.

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
Welcome from south Louisiana.

I have the Marlin 983, just not SS.

cajun56

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I realize I do not have all the information updated under my name, I am reporting from the keystone state!

Thanks all for the input. I did have an opportunity to take the gun to the range the other day. I was only checking to make sure it was functioning and throwing lead down range as expected. The cold and wind made me not what to sight it in and check groupings. Went through a whole box of shells though. Very fun to shoot!

Also, since the bolt does lock up quite tight I have no concerns with the play in action.

puma_guy: I did check as you suggested. The fire pin does not contact the bullet until the trigger is pulled. But you did bring up some points that made me look further into the issues.

First: since I do not understand how this bolt works I study what I could of my gun to get a better understanding why the click is present.

when the bolt is open while in the gun it looks like this:
20170110_102503.jpg

As puma_guy noted, I thinK the issues is with the striker knob. The striker cam (pin on the bolt) sits in the notch as show below:

20170110_102557.jpg

When I rotate the bolt down to the closed position, the striker cam is pushed out of the notch and down into the cut out. When the striker cam/pin is pushed out of the notch that is when the loud click is coming from:
20170110_102624.jpg

Is that normal for the pin to be moved out of the notch by closing the bolt? or should this occur when the trigger is pulled?

I created some close up videos to shows the issues. One is from the side showing the pin moving: https://youtu.be/Pt1O9A55oiw

This one is from the back showing the twisting of the striker knob: https://youtu.be/fxQh9umGWI4

When I place a large amount of forward pressure on the bolt while closing the click is not present. This made me think something is possibly holding up the bolt prior to the downward motion of closing the bolt?? I am at a loss, but there is a pic of the the bolt all the way forward showing a gap between the bolt and the barrel (This gap closes when the bolt is fully closed)

20170110_113700.jpg 20170110_113707.jpg

I apologize for the long post. I plan on taking back to the shop this weekend for them to look at, however I want to be as knowledgeable as I can to point out my concerns and making them aware.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
drinva, I didn't realize your reply until I was finished drafting and posting my last one. But I think what I am trying show and explain is exactly what you are talking about. Dryness maybe the issues but as you noted it does seem to be related to the reset and positioning of the striker knob? The click is also present when racking the bolt after discahrge. If you have a chance to pull yours out and let me know what your experiencing I would very much appreciate it. Very nice looking gun by the way. I am hoping once I get mine all cleaned up it will look the same!

Cajun56, my original plan was going for 983, but stumbling across this and the price, I could not say no. I was not not even partial to the ss. this is the first one I own in ss. These are fun guns to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additional information I think I figured out.

When the bolt is ready to fire the pin that comes off the bolt is pushed out of the notch and down into the cut out on the bolt. When this occurs, I believe the top of the trigger (yellow arrow) holds back the striker (inside of the bolt assembly) by striker cam bushing (blue ring). I have the pic below.

20170110_155649.jpg

If I am correct, I believe it comes down to finding a way to decrease the gap between the cam bushing. Thus decreasing the sound. Which I also think goes along with the gap when the bolt is forward but not completely closed as I mention in my previous post.

·
Super Moderator
5,144 Posts
What you are experiencing is normal.
I have the 880.....play in bolt...normal.
Your audible click..is just that a click........................it is just the bolt locking into battery.
My rifle does just as yours......I have seen this on many others.Mine has the same resistance upon locking as yours...just not as audible as yours.
Wonder if being stainless may have more harmonics so to speak.

Don't sweat it!....shoot that sucker!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Ill get mine out tomorrow evening (Wed), and I'll post what I find.

I ordered mine brand new many years ago. Tru oiled the stock, and added the optic. Just a year or three back I put a new trigger in mine, the factory one was so bad. I think it's a rifle basics trigger if my memory serves. Mine is a solid 100% dime shooter at 100 yards. I can cut one big hole and just keep shooting through that same hole. One of the best shooting guns I've ever held. I hope yours is the same!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What you are experiencing is normal.
I have the 880.....play in bolt...normal.
Your audible click..is just that a click........................it is just the bolt locking into battery.
My rifle does just as yours......I have seen this on many others.Mine has the same resistance upon locking as yours...just not as audible as yours.
Wonder if being stainless may have more harmonics so to speak.

Don't sweat it!....shoot that sucker!
Agreed.

Mine has the click but it's very slight and not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. There is not a lot of play in my bolt, but it probably hasn't had 100 rounds through it since I ordered it either. There is some play but you have to extend the bolt completely rearward.

GREAT GUN.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have (3) of these Marlin Bolt 22 rifles, and they all act like yours. The hammer resets when you lift up the bolt handle (after firing), then when you slide the bolt forward, and begin to rotate it down, it will release the hammer onto the hammer latch mechanism. If your not pushing it all the way forward, there is a slight gap that will let the hammer fall a bit forward onto the latch. If you watch closely, yours will click forward, then essentially stay in place while the bolt continues to move forward until it's tight and latched down.

It's all normal.

Have fun with it, mine are all tack drivers. I have a 981T, a 883SS, and a XT22 Stainless tube fed.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
It appears that others have the same sound and action. I have at least a dozen Marlin bolt action .22's made from the 40's to present era and they all have basically the same bolt, but I've never really paid attention when closing the bolt. Since your rifle functioned at the range that was significant. As others have stated when you get down to sighting it in you'll find it's a tack driver. Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all for the input!

After reading everyone's comments I do not see the need to take it back to the shop.

1. It's a small place and I do not think they will be to receptive to look at it, and I do not know their reputation. They may be trustworthy but time will tell. (I felt like their prices were pretty good and I will probably be revisiting soon)

2. Seems like everyone has for the most part some sort of similar click (mine may just be more noticeable) I don't think it will hurt the integrity of the gun! I am glad to know what I was experiencing was normal. I think a little oil in the action should help some... seeing how it was completely dried out.

I will be changing out the trigger spring next week thanks to this nice donor pen I found lying around!
20170114_202149.jpg

Then off to the range!

I very much appreciate everyone's advice!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I like the Rifle Basix trigger I put in mine....I figured the gun was worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Drinva, when you posted up your pics I noticed the trigger was different. I assumed things changed over the years, but I contemplated going with rifle Basix, think that will be an upgrade for down the road!

I tested the trigger before I changed out the spring and the pull was aprox. 4.5 lbs.

Papermate spring: 2.6!

It feels a lot nicer. I will know more when I am at the range!

Update on Bolt Clicking:

I was at another gun shop the other day and cycled the action on a Marlin V17. The click was actually louder. Should anyone else in the future wonder, all is normal.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm not a big fan of SS but yours is a beauty. I've never seen one before and the workmanship I can see from the photos is top notch. Well fitted Rifle and even a steel trigger guard. I am a big fan of the .22 mag which most fellers think are never very accurate. They couldn't be more wrong. I am kind of a small caliber nut. I own everything in 17, 20, 22, and 6MM. I own Sako's, Brownings, Remingtons, Rugers, Marlins, and Winchesters. Some very expensive rifles. Out of them all one Rifle is a honest Tack Driver. It is my 22 mag. It takes some time to find the ammo it will want to shoot but when you do you will know it. I can put 5 shots into one little ragged hole at 100yds every time with that Rifle. It is a Ruger M77/22mag. I went through countless boxes of ammo looking for the food it wanted. Finally after trying everything from Armscore to Winchester I bought a box of Hornady 30gr V Max and Wallah. I can shoot a Gnat in the eye at 100 yards with this Rifle LOL.

I love the little guns. I shoot a lot and have a hoot with them. At the Range I let every kid there shoot them and don't have to worry about recoil. Just running out of ammo LOL. My 336SC is gone. I had no use for it as I never used it. I don't have any safe queens. All my guns get used or I get rid of them.

Good luck with your new Rifle and find the ammo it wants. You will have a lot of fun with it.

Steve

·
Registered
769 Posts
Oh and a PS: the two things in a rifle you need for accuracy are a good barrel and a good trigger. If I get one that won't shoot I first check the Crown, then float the barrel, and last lighten the trigger. It has never failed me yet.

Reactions: drinva
1 - 20 of 22 Posts