Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Just a follow up to my hell of a deal at galyans going outta business sale...$95 fer that marlin 22mag!!!!....Got finished with turkey hunting up here...seems the coyotes have made mince meat outta the turkey population ...never had so much trouble bagging a bird...no sound/scratches or tracks....gave up mid season and decided to see what was the trouble....did a turkey set and set up below some elevated RR tracks....wouldn't yah know....about 45 minutes later a fair sized yote froze on the tracks about 110 yards from me..... a quick shot with the 882 with Win. supremes and the yote dissappeared....thought I missed...then i saw a paw pointed toward heaven.....dang if that 22 didnt drop him in his tracks with a thru n' thru heart shot....my cousin is gonna mount him....I always brought my 22-250 out when yote hunting.......I have NO hesitation using that 882-SSV in 22mag from now on...some shooting sticks and a Burris FFII ballistic plex scope is a hell of a set up..by the way ..bagged a Jake the last day of the season at a different location...hope the turkey population appreciates my gesture at my usual hunting grounds...figure I saved at least 75 turkey a couple hundred rabbits and squirrels lives over the next couple of years with that one score.........Its been a great gun that 882....loves Win supremes and maxi's + V...hates Rem Vmax...but my 25MNC loves Vmax's...Did anyone see that great article on 22mag vs 17hmr in shooting times(or guns and ammo).......confirmed what I have been saying since day 1...and i DO own a 17(and FOUR 22mag's)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great Price! I have two of them under my roof. Consecutively serial numbered and more accurate than I can shoot them! One is my son's and the other mine. Federal and CCI FMJ are the most accurate rounds I've shot.

I agreed with Layne Simpson about the 17HMR VS 22WMR. I even agree that the 17HMR is the finest groundsquirrel cartidge there is. My son, a buddy, and myself were out today shooting g-squirrels. They used our 17's and I used a CZ 22 magnum. We had a blast down on the Mexican border dispite a 10mph crosswind that was pretty much constant. I 'll bet we killed twenty of them. We have three 17HMRs (Ruger 77/17, Ruger 96/17, and Marlin 17V) and five 22WMRs. (2 SSV's, a Ruger barrel for my 77/17, a CZ 452, a Savage Striker pistol, and a Brno 611 Autoloader.) I love both cartridges but don't treat them equally with respect to game taking abilities. ~Andrew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great deal on that rifle! I have wanted to get one since they came out but haven't as of yet. I'd replace that plastic stock withth e laminated stock available on the 17HMR version...I would think it would fit?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ed: It would be a drop in fit. I replaced my SSV stock with one from an 882L, laminate rifle about 6 years ago. I had to sand out the barrel channel but the results were worth it. Looks and feels better. My son's is stock and he likes it. Must be OK because it outshoots my rifle on a good day! ~Andrew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those Marlins are always good shooters. Thanks for the info...one of these days I'll get an 882SSV. I am a huge fan of the 22 magnum and still am not convinced to get a HMR :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I used to hang around the old MarlinTalk site and have had 4 marlin Rimfires to date. ( Andrew was a bad influence at the time :) I still have my SSV and can't say enough on how well it shoots (sub MOA) and how easily it "tinkers" up. ( Triggers, shortened mags, bedding, etc) Not quite the action /style of a Ruger 77/22 or CZ but a great gun and allot of gun for the $ . Just a pleasure to own and shoot.

p.s. The stock cost me $65 right from Marlin with new trigger guard and screws. Adds a little weight but adds allot to the package IMO.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Weehooker! Nice rifle! Had mine out yesterday and it shot rings around my new(used) CZ 452. Glad to see your rifle, dude! ~Andrew

PS: Bad influence?? Hmmmmm........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting to look like the old crowd is converging back... :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Most never strayed far,, just had problems contacting everyone. some never let there emails be accessable from the old Talk Site and we couldn't contact them..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's mine:

Bigger picture

The stock is a Richards Microfit in electric blue, and all metal parts have been polished. One mag has been shortened to 4 rounds.

I have "pillar bedded" the stock:
]

Bigger picture

An aluminum trigger guard was stripped from paint and polished:

Bigger picture

I have replaced the ugly stock screws with s/s allen screws, on both stocks:

·
Registered
33 Posts
ED said:
Mike...nice rifle. How much did that stock putchya out?
Blood, sweat and tears!
The stock costed about $200 including international shipping.
I had to pay about 30% taxes on top of that......And the stock that arrived after 6 weeks was broken!
Richards sent me another one, free of charge, but it took another 6 weeks. :(

The forming and sanding of the stock went very well, but then......
I had lots of problems with the varnish. The first layer was VERY bubbly, because I put it in a sauna to dry! :oops:
Had to sand it down completely...... :evil:
Next two layers were a bit runny, sanding between each.....

Finally, I borrowed a paintgun and put on two thin layers and I'm almost happy with the result.

PS. I used International Perfection 2-component varnish.

Bubbles:

Crack:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts