Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I was hoping for some humble advice...

I've just purchased a Marlin 882SSV .22WMR, with 3-9x44 Hawke Scope. I made this decision after reading all about them on this forum. Thanks for the advice.

My question is, what potential upgrades whould I consider. I've already identified the trigger as being too heavy.

Are there any modifications that you all would consider a necessary improvement to the rifle?

On another matter, who's knows the differences between the 882SSV and the 982VS?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only mod that i did to mine was I put a pepper laminate stock on mine off of a marlin 17 with the heavy barrel, they are the exact same gun just different caliber, here is a link to the stock site, i didnt have to do alot of work to mine, but you will need new mounting screws, the screw that goes through the stock into the barrel section, and the screw that goes through the trigger gaurd, the 882SSV ones are just a tad too short, you just need to get the two screws off of a 17VS, there is a pic of my rifle with the new stock as my signature directly below, and here is a link to the website for the stock,

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...&title=STOCK,+BLACK+&+GRAY,+LAMINATED&s=42816

The stock did add some comfort to the stock, its a little wider than the original stock and its a little heavier which makes it easier to keep steady.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the difference, if my memory's good, it's only the trigger system (T-900) that is on the 982SV but it's not a problem if you expect to change it for a custom trigger. I had a 882ssv couple time ago and mine shoot well with Win. Supreme 34gr HP (MOA rifle)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would get the lamy stock as mentioned and put in a match trigger. Then...i would shoot the heck out of it! Congrats on the nice gun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice. I think the first option is to work the trigger. The stock can come later. I kind of like the black synthetic stock though, only becuase it look "tactical".

How does the stock affect accuracy?

I've been suggested to get a Rifle Basix trigger. Are there any other trigger options which I could consider?

Thanks for the great advice. Marlin's are not as popular here (Australia) as they are over in the USA.

Cheers,

Ash.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Marlins synthetic stocks are very flexable. IMHO you would see an acuracy improvment by switching to a lamy stock, and the marlin lamys are very nice. However, i dont think the synthetic will hurt you if you like it. I kind of think stainless and synthetic looks good too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

So I went to the range 3 days ago and WOW!!! what a rifle. I was shooting groups that were touching at 25 and 50 yards. It was a ridiculously windy day, but I still shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I shot with the 3 most popular ammo that were available for the 22 magnum: PMC Predator; Winchester Super X and Winchester Supreme.

The PMC rounds weren't consistent.

Both the winchester rounds were excellent. Because of the strong wind the SuperX rounds performed better (40 grain) as opposed to the Supreme. I'm going again this weekend and I'll try the Supreme rounds, if the wind isn't so strong.

Thanks for all the advice

Ashley.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 882 trigger isn't hard to work. You can get it under 3# with just a little polishing and a spring change. I'm told the Marlin 2000 triggers fit as well but never bothered after doing my own. Other mods? The SSV's often benifit from a barrel floating and/or action bedding. The lami stocks are much stiffer and well worth the $60-$70 for looks and consistant performance. ( Be sure to ask for longer action screws as the ones with you synthetic stock are too short. ) Magazine shortening ( 5 round) so they mount near flush is another popular mod. Here's a picture of mine. wearing a 12x Simmons 44 mag scope. It shoots under 1" @ 100 when I do my part.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have put in a Rifle Basix trigger and replaced the stock screws with s/s counter sunk screws.
The receiver and barrel have been polished.... 8)

I have also bought a camo stock from e-gunparts and a laminated target stock from Richards Microfit.

Topped with a Leupold 2-7x28 for hunting and a 6-18x40 for targets..... :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike, how did you polish the barrel and reciever? Dremel? Belt sander? TIA

If you like the syn. stock. You can use epoxy and a steel rod running the length of it to make it less flexible. I did this and it did help accuracy, but I didn't like the balance of the syn stock with the heavy barrel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
kakemono said:
Mike, how did you polish the barrel and reciever? Dremel? Belt sander? TIA

If you like the syn. stock. You can use epoxy and a steel rod running the length of it to make it less flexible. I did this and it did help accuracy, but I didn't like the balance of the syn stock with the heavy barrel.
The camostock is made from hardwood and much stiffer.......

I used a lathe and some wet&dry paper, starting with 120 and ending with 800 grit (alcohol instead of water).
Then some very fine (000) steel wool with polishing compound.
Finally a cloth with polishing compound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts