Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 870 in 28 gauge. Does any body know the value of this shotgun? It is 90%, excellant condition.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
No pics? Is it an Express or Wingmaster?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Looking online, I've been seeing them for sale from the low 500's to the mid 700's. Haven't ran into one in person, but ultimately it depends on how much somebody is willing to pay for it. Would love to have one in my safe someday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. What's the difference between the Express and Wingmaster? It's the first Remington shotgun that I own.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Wingmaster is the 336 version

Express is the Glenfield version.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Or in simpler terms, the Express has cheaper Birch stocks and a rough finish, the Wingmaster has much nicer Walnut and a much nicer blued finish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, my error. It must be the Express. The finish is rough and the stock is Birch, I know it's not walnut. (I'm in the lumber business) :-[

·
Registered
489 Posts
i would be suprized to hear remington made a small gauge that was not a wingmaster. wingmaster should be engraved into the receiver. the 28 and 410 versions command a premium.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is an Express, it's stamped on the left side of the receiver. So, any thoughts on what it might be worth? I'm thinking of trading it or selling it. Like I said earlier, this is the first 870 i've owned.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
DJVTX said:
It is an Express, it's stamped on the left side of the receiver. So, any thoughts on what it might be worth? I'm thinking of trading it or selling it. Like I said earlier, this is the first 870 i've owned.
Have you try looking in the blue book of gun value? I don't think it has any collectors value. My best guess it's worth as much as any other Rem. exp. shotgun pending on condition and accessories like ventilated rid, chokes etc.

But I would have 28ga. over a 410 bore and a 20ga. over a 28ga. in my state. A 20ga. can be used for small game/turkey and big game in NYS. 410 bore and 28ga. small game but not turkey.

So for me unless it comes cheap I'll pass.

T :-\ NY

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
308/338 said:
Have you try looking in the blue book of gun value? I don't think it has any collectors value. My best guess it's worth as much as any other Rem. exp. shotgun pending on condition and accessories like ventilated rid, chokes etc.

But I would have 28ga. over a 410 bore and a 20ga. over a 28ga. in my state. A 20ga. can be used for small game/turkey and big game in NYS. 410 bore and 28ga. small game but not turkey.

So for me unless it comes cheap I'll pass.

T :-\ NY
My mistake, I'm not trying to sell the 870 on this site. I'm just trying to find the value. I don't have a blue book. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
DJVTX said:
My mistake, I'm not trying to sell the 870 on this site. I'm just trying to find the value. I don't have a blue book. Thanks
I am sorry if my post seem like I thought you were selling the the shotgun. I was only pointing out places where you might find the value of your 28ga. shotgun. As far as me saying "So for me unless it comes cheap I'll pass". it was just a personal preference.
But I wouldn't rule out owning a 410 or a 28ga.

T ::) NY

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Take it out and bust some clays with it, with that gun it'll get pretty addictive. ;)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Come to the darkside muwhahahah, just remember the word pull! ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took it to a gun show yesterday and had a few tire kickers, but no takers. So for now I'm going to kill some clay pigions.....how do cook clay pigions? ??? ???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts