Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USAF #3.jpg USAF #1.jpg USAF #2.jpg

Wondered if these pictures are of any interest, its a memorial in my local village, Scraptoft, where the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment and the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment were stationed to prepare for combat in Europe in WW2
regards Tezz

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
thank you midday....too often we focus on the matters at hand and fail to remember our allies and the blood price of liberty...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
View attachment 100072 View attachment 100071 View attachment 100070

Wondered if these pictures are of any interest, its a memorial in my local village, Scraptoft, where the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment and the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment were stationed to prepare for combat in Europe in WW2
regards Tezz
You just made my day.

I was a member of the 2/325 AIR - we've still got a very strong association which we cultivate through our Facebook page. I'm going to post these pictures there - we've got a reunion coming-up this August in Vegas.

I was NCO of the Year of the 2/325th in 1982. We were, and still are, the only American infantry unit in U.S. history to have been straight-leg infantry (In the Sergeant Alvin C. York days of WWI - although we were the 328th straight legs at the time), Glider Infantry (Strom Thurmond, among others, was a member of the 325th) in the early days of WWII, and paratrooper Airborne Infantry since 1944.

Thank you very much for sharing those. I was on the Honor Guard for the D-Day Ceremony in 1984 and was TDY in England at the time but was choppered over to Normandy and St Mere Eglise for the ceremony, stood feet from President Reagan. During that tour I saw a lot of England, ended up marrying an English girl my first time around (from Northumberland, but we met around New Castle - she was a nurse, I was in the hospital ... anyways, in all my travels all over the UK in all those years I never remember seeing those and I thought I had seen all the plaques and memorials to the Eighty-Deuce in all of Europe. And I've got a good friend who served with the 504th ... they liked to call themselves the Devils in Baggy Pants.

Gilder infantry took serious balls/bollocks back then.

Scraptoft, is that down south? I can't say I've ever heard of it. I know most of the places down south and most of them up north, even across the wall and into Scotland, but I can't place Scraptoft.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Cool, thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Very very nice. I need to dig up my pics from the 82nd in Nijmegan. Amazing memorials.

Reactions: Reicher

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for all the info, like the Eighty_Deuce name, Scraptoft is a very small village in Leicester which is a City in the East Midlands close to East Midlands Airport, Donington Park race track, glad the info was of interest, regards Tezz

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Thankyou, very nice! I never served with my brothers in the 82nd, but am aware of their history. Thankyou to the folks of the UK who have erected these monuments to commemorate our friendship and allied service .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
82nd in the UK update

Thanks for response, was not expecting that, I knew there was a large 82nd Airborne Division based in Leicester so I have some more info for you, They arrived 14 Feb 44 under commander Major General Mathew B. Ridgeway and the main camp being at Victoria Park and head quarters at Braunstone Hall. During the stay General James Gavin (slim jim Gavin) was appointed commander becoming the youngest General since the civil war, and the Braunstone Town Council have a road named Gavin Close after him. There is a granite boulder in Victoria Park with a plaque engraved, " In tribute and memory of those men of the United States (All American) 82nd Airborne Division who served in Leicester and County prior to the `D` Day Invasion of Europe. They came in freedom. They fought with gallantry. Many never returned to their homeland" 10 May 1986
Because there was no specific memorial to the men of the 325th stationed in Scraptoft at Camp March Hare, Beeby Lane and the men of 504th stationed at Camp Stoughton, Shady Lane Evington a military historian and the locals raised the money to have the memorial in Edith Cole memorial park Scraptoft June 1st 2013. many thanks for the interest, regards Tezz imagesM3UPEV1O.jpg P4091097.jpg Gavin_large.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts