Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I took my 1881, 45-70 Gov;t, MD of 1887 to a gun smith for a complete cleaning and check all parts for wear and tear. Got it back this week and was told it's in great shape, no parts needed, it was taken completely apart and given a through cleaning and it's safe to fire. The barrel was exceptionally clean for a rifle that shot noting but lead bullets as my Grandfather had told me that's all he ever had. It even looks better, and they rated it as 70 to 75%. Pretty good for a 127 year old rifle.
Now what, as I write this info. about the gun it's most likely that it will stay here stored as I doubt that I'll hunt or fire it again. Health will keep me from hunting, however I would still like to go out and do some 150 or 100 yard paper shooting. Mark's snot locker shell's would be out for sure. Waiting to get my gun back I've been really into reading threads on the forum, one that has just stuck with me contained a picture of a gun that I have got to have, if for nothing more than to maybe sit with the 81 and let me stare at. It belongs to one our esteemed members of the 45-70 forum, a STBL Walnut stocks, stainless steel, pistol grip, large lever , 8 1/2 or 22" barrel. I want to get one just like it but so far they are few and hard to find. There a great looking rifle and I would love to do some paper shooting with it.
cajunjohn
John Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That's a beauty!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
That's a FIIINE Lookin Rifle You have! I hope you can get out and Enjoy it some time!
I wouldn't mind owning that myself...:)

Thanks for sharing.
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Beautiful rifle ya got there!

DD

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the complement, but guess it should all go to my Grandfather, thanks

Team 45-70 #1214
john

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us...awesome...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well John that is one fine looking paper puncher if ever I seen one.eh

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
cajunjohn, that is one very fine looking Marlin. Sure would be nice if it could talk and give us all a history lesson. Thanks for the pictures, take care, John.

Reactions: cajunjohn

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
About a month ago I took my 1881, 45-70 Gov;t, MD of 1887 to a gun smith for a complete cleaning and check all parts for wear and tear. Got it back this week and was told it's in great shape, no parts needed, it was taken completely apart and given a through cleaning and it's safe to fire. The barrel was exceptionally clean for a rifle that shot noting but lead bullets as my Grandfather had told me that's all he ever had. It even looks better, and they rated it as 70 to 75%. Pretty good for a 127 year old rifle.
Now what, as I write this info. about the gun it's most likely that it will stay here stored as I doubt that I'll hunt or fire it again. Health will keep me from hunting, however I would still like to go out and do some 150 or 100 yard paper shooting. Mark's snot locker shell's would be out for sure. Waiting to get my gun back I've been really into reading threads on the forum, one that has just stuck with me contained a picture of a gun that I have got to have, if for nothing more than to maybe sit with the 81 and let me stare at. It belongs to one our esteemed members of the 45-70 forum, a STBL Walnut stocks, stainless steel, pistol grip, large lever , 8 1/2 or 22" barrel. I want to get one just like it but so far they are few and hard to find. There a great looking rifle and I would love to do some paper shooting with it.
cajunjohn
John View attachment 98548 View attachment 98549
One beautiful rifle! :congrats:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glockmeister, thanks' for the reply, yes there are things I would like to no about, waited to long to ask.

Team 45-70 #1214
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts