Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ?1950s? vintage 81-DL .22 S, L and LR and it doesn't have the bullseye in the stock. There is a sling hole about where the bullseye should be, but it looks a little too small to have been the bullseye.

Also, the wood on this gun was very light in color. I recently stripped a thin layer of finish off the stock, sanded and then restained and Tru-oiled it up with a Birchwood Casey kit. The stripped wood was really light making me think it may have been birch or something. When stained, it remained light and took on an orangish brown hue. I've read where the non-walnut 336s do not have the bullseye. Perhaps this is the case with my 81-DL.

Rifle shoots great and was my father's first gun when he was a boy and my first gun as well. I am interested for historical purposes if anyone knows about this model .22 regarding the bullseye and the wood.

Thanks,
Night Wasp

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I have one from about the same era. No bullseye, but has a sling mount. It also is very light, almost blond.
I am very sure that all is original. My uncle gave it to me before he died. I think of him every time that I take it out.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
You should be able to tell right away if it's walnut or hardwood, walnut just has much better figure and appearance to it......post some pics.

The bullseye was put in all Marlin walnut butt stocks....not just the 336. It sounds like you got a hardwood stock......I've never used Tru-Oil on hardwood, only walnut and it looked great with a deep rich brown color, but I've read where other members used it on birch and got that orangish tint too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the bullseye didn't apply to this model and I think Roe is right about the birch. His looks similar, albeit better, than mine.

Mine currently has a 4X Bushnell on it, but I think I'll strip that off in favor of a good peep sight. Any suggestions on which one to put on it?

I'll try to attach a picture of the 81 in with my two other Marlins (1960 336 SC .35 and 1920s Model 44 20 gauge). Hopefully, the picture will work.

Roe - Thanks for the help once again. You helped me with my vintage K4 and 1960 336SC .35 question regarding mount and rings a few days back. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll start by checking those sites. I should be able to come up with something to take the place of the scope.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It's birch and is probably an econo-version made up for some store chain or another. Those didn't get the bullseye because Marlin didn't want to kill sales of the more expensive walnut stock versions. Some may have house brands on them, others, not. I've got an 1894 that was retailed that way, was at least $200 off regular walnut stock retail when I got it. Has a thin walnut-colored coat of varnish over the birch, doesn't really look bad that way. No bullseye on it, either. Birch is pretty close-grained and doesn't take to staining that well, one reason they used the tinted varnish at the factory. Nothing wrong with those guns, the mechanism is the exact same one they used in the more expensive version and the stocks probably stood up better on barn gun duty than the walnut would have.

Stan S.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
It is odd that the 81 does not have one even in birch.

Here is my model 80 (Clip fed) in birch.

Attachments

·
Banned
497 Posts
My 81 DL has a birch stock AND a bullseye. I don't know what year it was made but I got it from my grandfather after he passed away. I doubt my grandfather put the bullseye in later. My Dad found it in back of a closet but he had never seen it before. I'm thinking its from the late 40's early 50's as my Dad was gone from the house by then. By the way it has a fairly straight bolt handle

·
Banned
497 Posts
Here's a picture of my DL though you can't see the bullseye. If anyone can date it generally I'd appreciate it - note the trigger guard is just a flat piece of bent metal unlike other ones that seem cast. I believe the sling swivels are original. I had it drilled and tapped for a scope last year and I still have the original peep site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.