Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a pristine 81 DL that is missing the rear peep sight. It appears as though there is a blank in the rear sight dovetail that needs to be removed so that a new buckhorn sight that I picked up from Numrich's can be inserted in the blank (now screws or screw holes). Just curious if there is a "trick" to removing this so that I'm not pounding in it with a drift and hammer. Any advice would help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I always punch them out from left to right looking from the butt down the barrel. I found an original rear peep for my 81-DL on ebay for 40 bucks. Might want to look into that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cody77! Worked like a charm although I think the blank was epoxied in.... I have put over 500 rounds through it and it is amazingly accurate for a 40+ year old rifle. I do have a new issue in that about every 6 or 7 loads the bullet fails to be pulled into the extractor from the magazine tube. If I cycle the bolt a few times, it will eventually load.

I pulled everything apart and cleaned all the caked on greas from the cartridge carrier which helped somewhat, but has not completely cured the problem. Any suggestions as to how to correct the issue without having to completely replace the cartridge carrier?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
cooyello said:
Thanks Cody77! Worked like a charm although I think the blank was epoxied in.... I have put over 500 rounds through it and it is amazingly accurate for a 40+ year old rifle. I do have a new issue in that about every 6 or 7 loads the bullet fails to be pulled into the extractor from the magazine tube. If I cycle the bolt a few times, it will eventually load.

I pulled everything apart and cleaned all the caked on greas from the cartridge carrier which helped somewhat, but has not completely cured the problem. Any suggestions as to how to correct the issue without having to completely replace the cartridge carrier?
The fail to feed at times may well be the lifter/elevator/carrier spring being fatigued or one leg of it cracked in the tight curve on the retainer pin. Easily replaced with a Numrich part. Also, check the screw that holds the assembly to the bottom of the barrel, it should be tight without wringing it off.
`57

1 - 4 of 4 Posts