Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
Be aware that although all 80% AR15 lowers are supposed to be MIL spec, that is only in dimensions and internal fit. The outsides of the lowers are almost all built different. An added gusset here or there, a little thicker on that edge, whatever they decide... Not all jigs will fit all 80% lowers, so be sure the jig you choose will fit the lower receiver you choose...

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Agree with the above. and I will add that you REALLY, REALLY need to do it on a milling machine for close tolerance and good finish. drill presses are ok, and will get the job done eventually, but they're no where near the precision of a Milling machine.
There are some youtube vids out there that make me cringe and wonder how they haven't lost a finger yet...

Im pretty quick doing them and with the manual mill, i can get thru one in about 3 hours. Im very anal about my work and finish so I do take a hair longer addressing the little things.
there are a few tight, or absolute measurements that you have to take care with, but most of the work is hogging out all the excess.
Then slowly finishing the outside edges of the cavity to the correct measurements. and drilling the pin holes in the correct location using the proper bits.

Most jigs out there will work for 99% of the mil spec receivers on the market. the only time you gotta be careful is with oddball shape and cut billet custom stuff.. thats where you will get into issues with proper fit in the jig.

Modulus Arms Jigs are actually pretty nice quality actually and I cannot say anything bad about them.

·
Registered
22,157 Posts
Agree with the above. and I will add that you REALLY, REALLY need to do it on a milling machine for close tolerance and good finish. drill presses are ok, and will get the job done eventually, but they're no where near the precision of a Milling machine.
There are some youtube vids out there that make me cringe and wonder how they haven't lost a finger yet...

Im pretty quick doing them and with the manual mill, i can get thru one in about 3 hours. Im very anal about my work and finish so I do take a hair longer addressing the little things.
there are a few tight, or absolute measurements that you have to take care with, but most of the work is hogging out all the excess.
Then slowly finishing the outside edges of the cavity to the correct measurements. and drilling the pin holes in the correct location using the proper bits.

Most jigs out there will work for 99% of the mil spec receivers on the market. the only time you gotta be careful is with oddball shape and cut billet custom stuff.. thats where you will get into issues with proper fit in the jig.

Modulus Arms Jigs are actually pretty nice quality actually and I cannot say anything bad about them.
I admire your pride in your work! rare these days.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
20150720_091337.jpg

Just did this one recently with a home made jig.
Pics don't do it justice... that sucker was PINK! it later got serialized and a custom logo machined in it, then color filled the logo area black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts