Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Now your back to the longer length. Guess it's shorter with the chop than it would be with the "can" added to quiet it down, though. DP

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I don't have a Marlin in 7mm-08 but we do have 2 other rifles in that caliber here. I own a T/C Venture and my son got my Remington Model 7 in that caliber. We definitely like the 7mm-08 in this house. An underrated caliber IMHO.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live in a very brushy region as well but the occasional 300+ yard shot in a clearcut is also a possibility. Having a compact rifle that has range is a plus and the 7-08 fits the bill. I would rather have the velocity of a longer barrel (not over 22"), than the silencer or a muzzlebrake. My 7-08 isn't particularly loud and has mild recoil. It's possible that after the barrel was shortened, the muzzle blast increased. Some rifles will be more accurate after being shortened and re-crowned, others are not, it has to do with the harmonics of the barrel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep shortening it did make it a shade louder. And for bush hunting the can will be taken off. I do use this rifle to cull goats out of the local golf course. So i run it suppressed there. Iv got a thread protecter to use in the bush. As well ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410127376.771785.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The local indian community get some. I take some and my dogs get some. It makes great curry and dog tucker

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Got the chop out in the weekend and got a couple of wild goats this time. Nice day for a walk View attachment 122289
What weight bullet do you load in your 7mm-08 for Goats or what factory load are you using? I've got a single shot Handi rifle and a Remington Model 7 stainless steal, both in 7mm-08.
I prefer the Speer Hot Core 130 grain for our Whitetail deer here in NE Pennsylvania. I use them in my Ruger MKII 7x57 Mauser also. Those 130 grainers really hammer a deer hard!

Goat in my humble opinion is the meat that tastes as close to Whitetail deer as I have ever tried. I've often said that the day I can't get my arse out in the woods to kill a deer, I'm gonna buy a young goat and butcher it myself. Removing all the fat from a goat or Whitetail deer is the key. Fat from both species tastes terribly bad and I'll be sure to remove all of it from a goat just like I do from our deer.

Oh yea, I'm amazed at the accuracy and speed I get from my single shot Handi rifle. I swear to you, the speeds run a close second to my .270's when using that Speer 130 grain Hot Core bullet and the deer kills are just as dramatically quick as the .270 Win is. After all, a bullet weighing the same, only 0.007" in diameter difference, going within 100 fps of each other, how can there be much difference? The only difference incurred would be the construction of one bullet over the other.

Bob

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been using reloads based on factory 120gns. Just simple hornady soft points
Makes a nice fist sized hole in the neck and drops them on the spot

·
Registered
981 Posts
you did to your gun what I did to my 308 "X" gun a few years ago.

Marlin XS-7 308 carbine1.JPG

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
My son was shooting a model seven in 7-08 with 18 inch barrel the day the wasp got disturbed by the concussion and stung the hell out of me and my youngest son but did not sting the shooter that wondered why we were running until he saw the cloud of wasp. I have shot a lots of guns of just about every caliber under a shed but have never heard on that sounded any louder than that little 7-08, it would vibrate you every time it went off and unfortunately it vibrated the wasp. Ouch, aag, eeie, ow and other words were belted out that day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts