Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going long range shooting this weekend with my 7mm Rem Mag. Going to shoot some 168 gr Sierras or 162 gr A Maxes, and I have Re 19, Imr 4350, and some Imr 4064. Any suggestions for a good accuracy load? I have Fed LR Mag primers and Rem cases. Going to shoot in a match, any help appreciated.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Reloader 22 and H4831 both worked very well for me in the past w/168 grain Sierra matchkings from my 7mm Rem mag Sendero. Good velocity and excellent accuracy to 600 yards. Never tried it beyond that.

The 7mm Rem mag seems to thrive on slower burning powders. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't have those powders, but good for future thought. Going to a shoot in the NC mountians/foothills, place called Hawks Ridge, to shoot factory gun class. Wish me luck, I'll need lots of it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
I've heard and read about that place! You should have a great experience. Best of luck - a lot of hard-core shooters compete there!

Out of your avail powders, I'd look up some max charges of IMR 4350. It works well in 7mm Rem mag and .300 Win mag rifles. I used to use it quite a bit, but shifted to Re-22, and H4831 for the 7mm mag.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've heard of Hawks Ridge way out there on the West Coast? I've been there once before. My buddy shoots there, and did very well for himself last year. He's been after me to go with him again, the time I went the match got rained out. Seemed like a bunch of down home good ole boys from what I could tell, not the "snobby" bench rest guys I had expected. If you shoot free hand at 600 yards, my hat is definitely off to you! I suck free hand, luckily, most of my hunting is from a climbing stand, and I can prop up! :oops:

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Yup - heard about Hawks Ridge via a few buddies who shoot 1000 yard benchrest competition. I understand that there's quite a group of guys who shoot in Pennsylvania at a 1000 yard range, another club at Missoula MT, and there's one outside Sacramento California where they shoot 1000 yard BR every month, with 600 yard matches in between.

I don't compete in BR, but yes I shoot NRA "highpower" matches. Next month I'm shooting in our state championship match to 1000 yards - iron sight .308 from prone!

Should be some fun... Very windy range. Just put a new barrel on the rifle, so hopefully the wind will cooperate and I'll post some decent scores. If not, well heck, it's still fun to shoot.

Guy

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a lot of fun. I shot my Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag(standard) w/150 gr Combined Technologies 7mm moly Ballistic Tips. They stack together at 100, but they were tumbling at 1000. :shock: :oops: :? I shot in factory class, and got 3 on paper :oops: :oops: (I wasn't the only one blown off). Then I shot my buddies light gun (blueprinted 17 lb Rem 700) in Light Gun class and got a 7.518" 5 shot group. (Not bad, but not a winner, several other 7" groups that relay, one of which was 7.1"). Weather was unusally NICE. Very light wind, little mirage, moderate temps. One very modest, humble older gentleman shot a group with a called flyer in the shootoff that save for the flyer would've broken a world record for group size. The group with the flyer was just over 4", the other 4 were almost touching. He had no optics avaliable to him to allow him to see the group or flyer before he called the flyer. His group one the shootoff. 8) Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :D

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
See if you can get your 7mm mag to shoot the 175 Sierra Matchking well. The long, heavy bullets tend to do very well at long range, whereas the lighter, shorter bullets often don't do so good, even though they start out with plenty of velocity.

The 175 from a 26" barrel should get up to 2950 or even 3000 fps with no problem, and be good to go at 1000 yards. Easily.

Let us know how you're doing as you shoot more matches. Time has been my enemy the past few months and I havent' shot a match since March or April.

Regards, Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts