Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed they offer the xl7 in .270,.30-06, and .25-06 and that the freedom group that owns remington now owns marlin I also noticed that the remington 700 adl is offered in all three of those calibers plus the 7mm remington magnum so why dont they offer the xl7 in that caliber Ive used a adl synthetic in the 7mm mag to pronghorn hunt and thought it was exellent very flat shooting and recoil was very manageable

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im concidering buying another xl7 and ordering a 7mm-08 barrel and having the chamber run out to the 7mm magnum length

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
I haven't looked at the Marlin bolt face. How hard will that be to open up to magnum dimensions? Also, will the magazine feed rails have to be opened?

All that is pretty straightforward on some rifles, but I don't know if the Marlin bolt action poses any particular problems for a gunsmith to convert to a magnum cartridge.

Guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
donut slayer said:
ummmmm, the 7mm-08 is a short action where the 7mm mag is a long action.
My plan is to take a long action from like a 270 or a 30-06 and ordering a 7mm-08 barrel and have the chamber run out to the 7mm magnum length I dont know if it is going to work as good but I had a .223 run out to the .222 remington magnum

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Get any XL7.
Order a prefit 7mm Mag barrel from http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog4.htm
Have a gunsmith open up the boltface on the XL7 and you can also have him install the barrel for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wish they had more calibers in the x7 series. a 7 mag would be great. i would already own one. i would say they want to keep the market limited to require us to buy more junk remmys. well i'll just wait!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts