Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting things together to load for a 7mm-Mag. I have some IMR-4350 and an old(er) unopened cardboard can of 4831. It is packaged by Hodgdon and the price tag says it cost $2.69...
My Hornady 3rd edition lists IMR-4831 as providing the best accuracy over the range of tested bullets in the 7mm.
I'm thinking of using the Hornady 162gr SST, if I can find some.
Any guesses as to how far off the H-4831 is to the IMR-4831 listed in the 29 year old manual? Starting load for a 162gr BT is 54.6grs up to a max of 62.4grs. I'll cross reference the numbers with Hodgdon's online reloading data center before I start.
Assuming the 4831 is still good, has anyone here used it for the 7mm?

I'm open to other suggestions but I'd really like to trim the powder selections I have vice adding another (although RL 22 looks tempting...).

-chris

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Hodgdon has on-line data avail for their powders, including both Hodgdon and IMR powders. Check their web site. It's also in their annual manual, an inexpensive magazine-style loading manual.

Alliant also publishes on-line data for the 7mm mag, including Reloader 22.

I don't know how old that powder of yours is, but it's got to be pretty ancient. If it's been stored well, it's likely safe to use.

Both H4831 and Reloader 22 have produced excellent results for me with a 160 grain bullet. Sierra lists Reloader 22 with a very good load at 65 grains under their 160 gr SPBT bullet. I've worked up to that, using several different 160 gr bullets from Sierra and Nosler - they all shot well in several different rifles - at about 3050 fps. Very good longish-range 7mm Rem mag load. Good accuracy and good velocity.

H4831 never produced quite as much velocity for me, but it was very accurate. I'd happily use either.

Reloader 22 is my favorite with the 7mm Rem mag, no doubt.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
H4831 never produced quite as much velocity for me, but it was very accurate. I'd happily use either.

Reloader 22 is my favorite with the 7mm Rem mag, no doubt.

Regards, Guy
[/quote] +1 for me, but it's been a bunch of years since I loaded for the 7 Rem; I now use IMR 7828 in my 7mm RUM. I remember reading somewhere, bqack when, that 7828 was the original powder in factory loads, I can't say for sure, but it's also a great powder.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
The only powder I have ever loaded for the 7mm Rem Mag and acheived decent accuracy with is IMR-4831. I have a can of H-4831SC and a can of IMR-7828 that I haven't had time to work with yet. I wanted to try the H-4831SC and see how it compares (accuracy wise) to the IMR-4831, plus for the better metering of the short cut grains. I wanted to try the IMR-7828 with some 175 gr bullets to see how it compares with the IMR-4831 (again, accuracy wise).

Any powders I tried that were faster than the IMR-4831 produced less accuracy in my old rifle. IMR-4350 was okay, but still not as accurate with comparable loadings of IMR-4831. I haven't tried any Re-22 yet either, but I would expect to see comparable results from it and IMR-7828 - particularly with bullets 160 grains and heavier.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I will assume this is for mule deer or white tail. Most any good bullet from 150gns on up will do well and shoot flat in your 7mm Rem Mag. With the powders you have on hand. I would leave the H4831 in the can unopened and sell it for it's collector value. Pretty sure you can get at least two lbs of new stuff for it. The IMR4350 is currently produced with the same formula and works well in the mag.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Off topic, but I'm using some old IMR-4350 with the same price point as your 4831. It was in the can, unopened and it works just fine. If your powder was stored well, it should be fine. If it's not, you'll be greeted with an acrid smell when you open it.

Mine looks like this:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Hodgdon Data Manual #25 (1987 printing). lists a starting load of 61.0 gr of H4831, max load 66.0 gr with a 154-162 gr. bullet.
IMR 4831 starting load of 59.0 gr max load of 62.0 gr with a 154-162 gr bullet.

Hope this is helpfull.
ph

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Im useing the SST in my 7mag. Its in the reloading section,under my first 7mm reloads. This yearling was shot with one.. utter devastation..Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
The good ol' 7mm Rem mag can handle big jobs too.

Stepped up to the 175 gr Nosler Partition for this Wyoming high country elk hunt. One shot was all it took.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
It sure can M700,Ive said it before,I started liking it from reading about it. Read everthing ol John Whooters ever wrote for guns and ammo.He liked it,, so I did too. And the fact that it got here in 1962 same as me was neat. The most popular cal in my family was the 06. And the 06, is one more fine round. I wanted to be different though ;) The fact that (I cant think of his name at the moment) Killed ever species of game animal in north america and most of the ones in africa, with a 7mag helped too. You cant go wrong with a 7mag, IMO,and a heck of a lot of other peoples. I could get by just fine with a 22,35rem,and a 7 mag. But thank goodness I dont have too ;D But them three are my go to rounds..Gunrunner,,,

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
For the 160-175's, it is really hard to go wrong with RL22!!! Work up to 65-66gr's of it using a 160-162 and I bet you will find accuracy and also some speed! I haven't messed with IMR7828 in the 7RM much, but I am sure it works excellent also. I agree with you all. Took a slew of deer growing up, a bull moose, and a caribou with my 7RM all before I turned 19! Love the caliber so much I have put it aside for awhile in order to give the other rifles a chance to catch up, but I doubt they ever will. Scotty

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
ph Thanks for the above post Imr 4831 and h 4831 are not the same powder.
My standard load for 3 -7mm wea. mags is spear160 boat tail with 69gr.Imr 4831. I have used imr 4350 but don't remember how it did.

·
Registered
501 Posts
M700 said:
The good ol' 7mm Rem mag can handle big jobs too.

Stepped up to the 175 gr Nosler Partition for this Wyoming high country elk hunt. One shot was all it took.
Right on, Way to Go M700,

In th past I used 140 grain bullet with H450 for mule deer and was an accurate round. This powder is no longer made. I change to H870 and found it to be very accurate with the 160 grain bullet. This powder is no longer made. This time I bought 4 cans of Winchester Supreme 780 and I also have 5 cans of Hodgdon Retumbo that I need to try out. If they stop making it, I think I have enough powder for my hunts.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the RL-22 lose velocity in cold weather. A lot of people like the RL-22 and I have 3 pounds of it but from what I have been reading I have just been sticking with H-4831. Second question, if you are zeroed and go to a higher altitude how does it affect your zero or does it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been using IMR-4064 in my 7mm Mag with 140gr rounds for years now, love how it shoots. If I run out of the 4064 I will switch over to 4350.

·
Registered
267 Posts
IMR 4831 Is just slightly slower than imr4350 and quite a bit slower than H4831 I have used a lot of it in all the big mags 7,300win,338,500-450

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I just wish I could find any of the powders listed!!! I have been looking for RL22 or IMR-4350 for around a year now. I have everything I need to reload for the 7mm but NO POWDER!!! grrrr I hope this shortage stops soon!!

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Tried 4831 and 7828, the latter was more accurate for me. The Nosler Forum guys ( like Guy ) swear by RL 22.
I wanted something I could use in .25-06 as well. Hope you can find powder soon. It's available here in the gun store I use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts