Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have yet to shoot my new XS7 in 7mm-08, and have never loaded rounds for a Marlin. I
see the magazine is rather short for loading to the lands with some of the more pointed
bullets like the Berger VLD's and Hornady A-Max bullets.

For those who reload for the XS7 in 7mm-08, how far from the lands can you go and
still get accuracy? It appears some are going to have a long jump that will be accepted
by magazine length. I have had a 7mmWSM for quite some time, so there is a variety of
bullets that can be used.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Personally, I never worry about the jump. :eek: I load to the mag length on all my guns and I have never had accuracy issues. I don't even have a way of measuring the distance off the lands. ;)

I've been loading ammo for nearly 30 yrs, and one thing is evident today. Too many people are trying to use benchrest techiques when loading hunting ammo in hunting guns. Load for reliability and the critters will never know the difference. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
i do the same as bandit, however i cannot say this is the best way to do it. i also like the fact people like tweaking their loads, makes for good discussion. while not necessary for hunting, very necessary for bragging rights ::). as i get into reloading more and more, i notice myself being much more precise just haven't dove off into headspacing yet.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
my 25-06 has plenty of room in the mag for long seated bullets. ive reached the lands and never crowded the mag well so your 708 is either long throated oryour really close if you seat for the length of the mag well. if you have a magazine restriction then load to that restriction. you have no choice. i have a feeling your not too far off though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Comparing mag restraints between a long action 25-06 and a short action 7-08 isn't valid for at least 3 reasons.
1- SA vs LA
2- a 257 caliber vs a 284
3- 25-06 has a shorter spec'd amount of leade/throat/freebore.

Regardless, in most factory SA's you can't reach the lands in a 7-08 nor 308. Build a 25-08 and you could (probably). Never seems to matter though, load to maximum functioning length and most shoot from good to great!
Dave

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
dhbwa said:
Comparing mag restraints between a long action 25-06 and a short action 7-08 isn't valid for at least 3 reasons.
1- SA vs LA
2- a 257 caliber vs a 284
3- 25-06 has a shorter spec'd amount of leade/throat/freebore.

Regardless, in most factory SA's you can't reach the lands in a 7-08 nor 308. Build a 25-08 and you could (probably). Never seems to matter though, load to maximum functioning length and most shoot from good to great!
Dave
funny ive heard an awfull lot of complaints about short throated 243's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts