Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched back thru 6 years of posts here and still did not find the answer. I just got my #890180 Marlin factory adjustable rear sight from Numrich (to replace the crappy 'Adjustable Open Rear' sights). Problem is I can't tell how the original adjustable sights come off, as they just look like they were crimped on over the small dovetail mount that's attached to the barrel. I really don't wanna start banging on this before knowing which direction to do so....or just prying it off with a small screwdriver, a rubber mallet and needle nose pliers. Any assistance here would be most appreciated......

Thanx in advance,

Ricky

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a 2" section of 1/2" birch dowel(any sort of wood will do as long as it is reasonably firm) and a small ball pein hammer. Works like a charm and doesn't scratch anything.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
It's been a while since I took mine off the 795 but if memory serves, it's the two piece kind right? It has a little step ladder type think running along the barrel and the leaf spring sight on top of that?

You just pull up on the sight and slide the ladder out the back. Then put a small piece of tape on the barrel under the sight so it doesn't scratch the barrel as you tap the sight out of the dovetail. I've never bought into the need to tap them out in a certain direction but a lot of guys insist they go out to the right.

Use only as much force as necessary. Start light and gently work up until it starts moving.

That help?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So clamp the stock in a soft vise and just start tapping the rear sight from the muzzle end back towards the trigger?.....

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Ricky B said:
So clamp the stock in a soft vise and just start tapping the rear sight from the muzzle end back towards the trigger?.....
NO!

The main body of the sight is mounted in the dovetail, it goes out sideways. You do NOT tap anything in line with the barrel. Any and all tapping is done perpendicular to the barrel.

Does it have the little ladder piece I mentioned? I can't find the one I took off mine just now and as I said, I can't remember. It either has a screw for adjusting elevation or it has the ladder.

You're replacing the entire sight assembly correct?

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Grabbed a pic from the Marlin website...

Looks like it has the ladder as I thought. The sight is a two-piece design. With your finger and thumb, grab the blade (the actual sight part) and pull it up from the barrel. The little elevation ladder will be loose then. That is how you adjust the elevation, by pulling up on the sight and moving that ladder forward or back. Pull the ladder out toward to muzzle. The blade which is attached to the main body of the sight will then rest on the barrel.

From there, do the tape thing I mentioned and then take a small plastic or wood dowel and tap on the side of the dovetailed portioned that is slid into the female dovetail notch in the barrel.

Make sense?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now it makes sense. Thanx Gents..... ;D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the old ones popped out easily enough using a small wooden block, but I'll tell ya, the dovetails on the new sights sure seem to be on the small side. Slid them in, put a tiny bit of LocTite on the set screws and then snugged them up---which raised the bottom of the dovetail & the rear of the blade off of the barrel by a good 1/16th of an inch on the 795, and even higher on the 925RM. On the latter the rear elevation screw won't even reach the barrel until it's screwed downwards enough so that only 2 more threads are visible from above. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to get over to the range this weekend and make sure that I don't need to lower the rear blades any more....... ::)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts