Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the last round fired from my otherwise trusty Marlin 795 doesn't always keep the bolt open. I've completed disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated the rifle. The problem remains.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
...I'm not a 795 man but, generally, when all else fails, try another magazine, or new mag.elevator lips...
...likewise generally, bolt open are spring-operated, and their li'l spring can become lazy or the sliding channel clogged by some dirt/gum,etc...generally

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find anything misaligned. I have four magazines. It happens with all of them.

I'm somewhat familiar with the innards, as I put in MCARBO springs many years ago. And I've disassembled it many times. I guess I need to look closely at the hold open mechanism. But I'll sure take any pointers that anyone may have. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have the same issue. Holds back fine racked by hand Everything looks clean and smooth. I’m thinking a weaker recoil spring might cure it. Spring may be too strong, recoil is just short of catching the hold open, but fine for extracting. Have considered swapping one out of a older rifle. Or leaving it stored for a month with the bolt back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have you inspected the hold open lever? Is it worn or is the magazine follower catch tab broken or worn or bent? I gogled your issue and there are several posts on the problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be the ammo &/or spring. With CCI Standard it didn't happen as often - but it still happened. With some old Federal it happened much more often. I have an MCARBO subsonic spring I could put in to see if that fixes the problem. But what changed? I've shot subsonic ammo plenty of times before and didn't have the issue. In the past it's even cycled 'quiet' ammo somewhat reliably. So why an issue now with too stiff of spring or weak ammo?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a pic of my 795 magazine well. I have labeled the magazine disconnect and the LSHO. If you look closely at the LSHO, you will see a very small shiney ware spot, this, I imagine, is where the magazine follower contacts the lever. Not much room for ware or damage. Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a spare lever on hand, if you shoot alot.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts