Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 795 for Appleseed this summer in TX.
What have you guys/girls done with yours for Appleseed?
Also, anyone use optics versus iron sights (low power like fixed 2.5 or 4)?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I haven't been to an Appleseed yet, but I've been preparing for a few month's now. You'll want to add a 1 1/4" USGI sling. You'll need a few extra mag's for it as well. I've set up my 795 with a BSA Sweet 22 scope.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
What's an appleseed?

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, Appleseed is a shooting clinic put on by the Revolution Veterans War Association.

They go over basic fundamentals of shooting and cover history of the Revolution as well. Their project is designed to make Americans better riflemen.

22s are catching on from the sound of it due to ammo costs. I have yet to go but am really planning for this summer in Texas.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Thanks Fellers. What a good idea. :)

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I went to my first appleseed last April. It was a great two days of shooting ang hanging out with a bunch of like minded folks. I shot my 10/22 because it was the only detachable mag that I had at the time. I didnt get my "Rifleman" patch that weekend, but the 13 year old kid shooting the Marlin 795 next to me did. I was so impressed I went out that sunday afternoon and bought one for myself.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
It's a rimfire marksmanship program Mark.

http://appleseedinfo.org/
Eil,

I believe you can bring any caliber, the QRT that they use, pardon me if I'm wrong, was developed for the M14 .308. I know I've shot it with my M1A and informally qualified as a Rifleman (never had a witness, :(

I found the 400 yd (m) targets (those 'postage stamp sized ones) to just sit on top of the M!A's front sight. I think you'll want a blade front sight rather than the gold bead front sight for those smaller targets.

I read that Ayoob shot this last year and did alright with his 10/22 and optics, brought the wrong mag (25 shot) and had perfected the one post monopod technique with it, only... his favorite prone position wasn't allowed :mad: . I was surprised that they let you use a scope.

I see where the Lewiston, ID club is sponsoring an Appleseed event in mid-May. Boy I'm tempted to go! :)

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
BlueMntCeltic said:
Eil,

I believe you can bring any caliber, the QRT that they use, pardon me if I'm wrong, was developed for the M14 .308. I know I've shot it with my M1A and informally qualified as a Rifleman (never had a witness, :(

I found the 400 yd (m) targets (those 'postage stamp sized ones) to just sit on top of the M!A's front sight. I think you'll want a blade front sight rather than the gold bead front sight for those smaller targets.

I read that Ayoob shot this last year and did alright with his 10/22 and optics, brought the wrong mag (25 shot) and had perfected the one post monopod technique with it, only... his favorite prone position wasn't allowed :mad: . I was surprised that they let you use a scope.

I see where the Lewiston, ID club is sponsoring an Appleseed event in mid-May. Boy I'm tempted to go! :)
I didn't realize it was open to any caliber. I've just read so much about it in connection to rimfires that I didn't give it much thought. I suspect some places emphasize the rimfires due to range restrictions and youth involvement.

I sure do think it would be fun.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
We are in the process of building a range for the Appleseed project. It is shot at 25 meters and open to all calipers up to .30. open sights or scopes are permitted. Each course of fire is 10 rounds and I believe by the end of the weekend you will have fired in excess of 300 rounds

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erik
Did your 795 feel short in the LOP to you at all. My Academy here is currently out of stock so I could not shoulder one to see. They just look a little short in the pictures.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
medic07 said:
Erik
Did your 795 feel short in the LOP to you at all. My Academy here is currently out of stock so I could not shoulder one to see. They just look a little short in the pictures.
No. They have a standard LOP. They do feel slim and maybe a tad barrel heavy since the butt stock is so light but after you handle it a few times they feel real nice.

I just added one of these to it and with a spare mag or two in the pocket it balances things nicely: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=756034

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I just used a plain old "slip on recoil pad". usually seen on a shotgun, to increase my LOP by a little over an inch. This is my Model 75C.

BTW, I tend to think of Appleseed in terms of .22's, but as mentioned above, larger calibers are welcomed too. There is a size limit though... I'm not sure what it is though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
medic07 said:
Considering a 795 for Appleseed this summer in TX.
What have you guys/girls done with yours for Appleseed?
Also, anyone use optics versus iron sights (low power like fixed 2.5 or 4)?
Like Eli Chaps, I put tech sights on mine, a USGI sling, and got an extra mag. I should have gotten a couple more, but money is tight. I was hoping to hit an Appleseed this spring, but it looks more like it won't be until the fall that I get the time. But Appleseed or not, I really like the tech sights.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone notice the dovetail rails were not square? Read that on a site that it was hit and miss getting square ones from the factory.

Academy is supposed to get them this week...my guy will call when they come in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
medic07 said:
Anyone notice the dovetail rails were not square? Read that on a site that it was hit and miss getting square ones from the factory.
Mine's a bit cockeyed, but it still worked fine with the tech sights.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I've built a pile of "Liberty Training Rifles" based on the 795, both for myself as loaner rifles, and for friends who shoot Appleseeds. I also have a 10/22 set up as an LTR, but frankly, I like the Marlin so much more...

I replace the plastic stock with wood (weighs a little more), add the Tech Sights, replace the plastic trigger guard and bolt handle, add 1 1/4" sling swivels, a GI sling, and Almuma-Kote the action and barrel, and off to the match it goes.

Very reliable. Up here in New England, we shoot 40 round rapid AQT's, so you end up using about 700-800 rounds in a weekend. Bring at least 4 10-round mags, and maybe a mag loader of some sort. Your thumb will appreciate it.

Appleseeds can be shot by any rifle .30 cal and under. I've seen M-1 Garands there, but 700 rounds of 30-06 starts to add up. The events are shot at 25 meters, which is great for rimfire shooters, but some events also incorporate a "known distance" portion, which might see you shooting at actual 100 or 200 meters. Depends on the range.

I can't speak highly enough about the Appleseeds. If you can, go to one. And then take some younsters and your wife to the next one. My friends' kids still can't stop talking about the one they went to.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I made a few mods on my Marlin 795...

Ramline Lockarm stock converted to a Folding stock.
Marlin rear adjustable target sight
Razor Sling
Shooter's Ridge Bipod

and in a few months, the 25-round mags will be available from Shooter's Ridge :D

Still contemplating a Tech-Sights, but may wait for the new repro of the 989M2 to come out instead (Xmas 2011 ??):D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts