Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1980s production marlin 782. Gorgeous gun in gorgeous condition but for one little issue. When feeding ammunition out of the magazine the ammo is pushed up at an angle where it misses the chamber and stove pipes (standing tip Straight up with rim down [12 o clock]). if the bolt is pushed forward further crimps the brass on the side. Does anyone have any idea as to why the rounds are tilting like this? Can post pictures if needed but I figure this may have been experienced before.

· Registered
11,616 Posts
Maybe only load a few rds & lube the mag. It is worth a try.

Reactions: ballistics04

· Registered
854 Posts
Sounds like the feed lips on the magazine need to be adjusted closer together. They tend to spread apart with use and then the rounds will angle up too much, like you have described. This is what it looks like when the magazine feed lips are too far apart. The rim should slide up the angled part of the feed lip when the magazine is adjusted correctly. When the lips are too far apart, the rim will slide under the feed lips, instead of popping up into the bolt face.

Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Automotive tire Tire

· Super Moderator
7,565 Posts
Topimop, welcome to the forum! Let us know if you still have feeding issues.

I have a 782 from 1977, they are great rifles.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Topimop, welcome to the forum! Let us know if you still have feeding issues.

I have a 782 from 1977, they are great rifles.
Yes I am still having the issues. I believe a previous post was right on the money. They go under the rails and stick straight up and crimp the brass (not that I’m slamming it and letting that happen I know the issue exists now) I guess I’ll take a photo of the magazine!

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adjust the forward feed lips.

View attachment 844230
Took a closure look and the forward lips appeared to be flared too much!I took your advice but bent in. It made all the difference!!
Adjust the forward feed lips. There should be just a slight amount of inward pressure on the case of the round, but still allowing it to pop up when the rim clears the rear lips.
Bent those suckers in and gave them a bit of fine sandpaper polish and things cycles like a champ. Bet I could hit a rabbit twice running now. Thank you to everyone who helped.

· Super Moderator
7,565 Posts
This is what my magazine looks like

Look where this knife point is. If that front lip is too vertical, it will push the front of the magazine downward when the bolt is closed. I had to bend mine very slightly forward. This is the only "adjustment" I made to this magazine, and it feeds just fine if not working the bolt too fast.

Reactions: Topimop

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what my magazine looks like
View attachment 844243

View attachment 844244

Look where this knife point is. If that front lip is too vertical, it will push the front of the magazine downward when the bolt is closed. I had to bend mine very slightly forward. This is the only "adjustment" I made to this magazine, and it feeds just fine if not working the bolt too fast.
View attachment 844245

View attachment 844246
I bought mine off a gentlemen who already made that “upgrade” for me it seems.

· Super Moderator
7,565 Posts
I bought mine off a gentlemen who already made that “upgrade” for me it seems.
You should be able to tweak it back to a working condition.. My rifle came with a 4 round mag. I ordered two 7 round mags last year from Numrich.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.