Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning at the range I put a box of 230 grain FMJ's through my Kimber at 7 yards. Nice practice distance for a defensive sidearm.

Started with slow fire from 2-hand modern isocoles. Then rapid fire. Went to right hand only, then left hand only. Finished up the box with a magazine full, slow fire, two-hand modern isocoles to renew muscle memory and reinforce good marksmanship habits.

I try to shoot a box through my good old Kimber every week. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
729 Posts
They say most confrontations happen at 7 yards or less. Sometimes it's a very humbling experience to practice at that distance. It looks like you would have done in the perp. In the county I live in about 3 years ago we had a Deputy make a traffic stop so he got the person out of the car and made him stand in front of the car while he ran the plate and license. Turned out he was a known felon running so anyway said felon pulled a gun and officer dived for the rear of car. Officer got off 4 rounds and never did hit the perp but the perp didn't hit officer either and gave up. They couldn't have been more than 20ft. apart. Maybe it was a lucky day for both of them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
"Turned out he was a known felon running so anyway said felon pulled a gun and officer dived for the rear of car."

L.W.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Leanwolf said:
"Turned out he was a known felon running so anyway said felon pulled a gun and officer dived for the rear of car."

L.W.
Some officers dont like doing "Terry Searches" without probable cause in respect for the individual even though they may be in danger.

I know a couple local officers that refuse to do them because they feel that they are violating the person, that they only do them "when something isn't right..".

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
One more reason to practice your close-in drills! Few of the guys I work with ever practice, though I've been on their cases about it, and one has inquired about going with me to my club range. One newer guy, recent ex-military, carries six rounds in his revolver but has no speedloaders and couldn't get his gun out of the cheesy company-issued holster in anything under 5 seconds. I keep telling these guys they need to practice, but there are four of them on day shift, and nothing ever seems to happen. I work alone on nights and weekends, and I've already interrupted five car thefts in progress. No shots fired yet, but it's been close when one tried to run me down. Do I practice a lot? You betcha. And if you can hit five bowling pins while shooting full-speed DA, you're probably as ready as you need to be.

We wear duty belts so drawing from concealment isn't an issue. Good thing for me, I'm not very good at drawing from concealment. In fact, after years of looking, I finally found a good used Border Patrol holster, the lowest ride I can find without going to an (illegal) leg holster. So my new nickname is "Gunslinger", the butt of the gun is right where my palm hangs, I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't wear a high-ride holster. I sure hope none of the dayshift guys ever need to draw in a hurry, they're gonna have their thumbs in their armpits trying to get guns out of those goofy holsters! :shock:

Papajohn

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have always wondered why there is no use of crossdraw holster. Doesn't interfere with seatbelts, accessible while sitting or standing. Easy to keep your right hand close to it when making a stop, even while writing. I suppose it is because the public wouldn't accept it, as looking too "gun happy" or something like that.

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although the cross-draw style has advantages, the big disadvantage to a uniformed officer is that the cross-draw presents the handgun butt towards the suspect being confronted, making it very easy for a potential opponent to draw the weapon, and have it immediately pointed right at the officer.

Now... Was that a run-on sentence or what? :roll: Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
M700 do you practice any to the head or groin in case the perp is wearing body armor? Issue came up with a shooting in texas posted in another forum on here bad guy with body armor shot his wife, looked like the bad guys kid was next but another guy shot the bad guy, but was killed by the bad guy as the body armor stopped the round. Bad guys kid got away cops caught and killed the bad guy. Quite a bit of discussion on two to the chest one to the head or one to the groin two to the chest.

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I teach and practice head shots as well. Check out the tape on the target's face. This was training some of our guys before they deployed to Iraq. Regards, Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts