Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellas this is my first post on NEF. I am a regular if you would call it that on the 336 forum. Anyway I need some help from you all here. I am plannining on purchaseing a Handi Rifle as soon as I get home ( present location Baghdad Iraq). I am wondering how accurate are these rifles I have never shot one before but I keep hearing of other folks talk very highly of these little guns. I am looking for anyone with some first hand knowledge with either the 280 or 7-08, and would like to know how these shoot for you and what I should expect to get as far as accuracy.
and for those that are reading this that don't own a rifle in these calibers please feel free to describe your own results with your Handi Rifle as I am trying to learn as much as I can about these rifles and how they shoot. As an aside I told a buddy that he should get his wife a 7-08 in a handi rifle for her first big game rifle. Well they went to Alaska soon afterwards and I did not get a chance to shoot that rifle :( so now I need some help from you all.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
They are an addicting firearm, to say the least, not expensive, shoot good from a hunter's perspective and in general, an excellent buy. Some shoot excellent, depending on caliber, most will shoot best with the lighter for caliber bullets, but you should be real happy with one. Can't help you with the 7mm-08, that's one that I don't have, but there are a bunch at Graybeard's that love them, check em out.

And thanks for your service in Iraq!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126&sid=b774c96c63fe415a16cd14933832ee16

My collection of em....so far!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey thanks for being an American protecting my freedoms by serving in Iraq, Peace and Safety to you my brother.!!!!!

Go with the .280, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
336A,

Thanks for your efforts over seas.

I have several 280 and like thier performance.
Nothin wrong with the 7-08 either. For a handy rifle I would probably go with the 7-08. It gives up very little to the 280 an comes in a smaller pkg.

G

·
336A,

Late to this post but be careful over there. I don't think you could go wrong with either caliber. 7-08 is made from the .308 case and 280 from the 30-06 case. I have a old bolt action in 7-08 and love the way it shoots but a 280 will hold more powder.

Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go with the 7mm-08. You can kill nearly anything on the continent except maybee moose with it. Someone already said its as good as the .280 but smaler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 7mm08 is a little behing the 280 in equal length barrels,but the Handi 280 cal. is a 26" barrel and the 7 mm08 is 22". The Rem. 150 gr. corlokts chrono 2975 fps in my 280 barrel and nearly 3100 fps with the 140'sAnd if you handload you may get a little more performance than the factory ammo.I have 9 different barrel's for my Handi's and the 280 see's the most use when I'm hog hunting.Nearly all of the reports on accurcy has it shooting between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" at 100 yds. and most of the guy's use the Rem. ammo because it shoots so good. Hope this helps. Digger

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 7mm-08 in a lever gun and a .280 in a Handi. The .280 is by far the more powerful and versitile caliber, especially if you handload. And as quick said, with the added 4" of barrel length in the Handi the .280 outshines the 7mm-08. The 22" barrel is a nice touch for thicker woods hunting and the 7mm-08 is a great round in it's own right, you will not go wrong with either one, heck, why not save up why not get one of each or at least another barrel!!! You can download the .280 26" barrelled Handi to match the 7mm-08 but you cannot load the 7mm-08 22" Handi to match the .280...just a thought....<><.... :D

The difference is similar to a 30-06 rifle vs. a .308 carbine....

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-I can only speak for the 280 336A. the 280 will do any job you want here in the states. 120-150 grain Noslers just about as fast and flat as you want them. We push 140 Nosler ballistic tips in a AI version to 3200fps+ easily. with the partition the rifle becomes a dandy elk rifle and Ballistic Tips or smaller Partitions for deer and antelope and such. I love the caliber myself.

Thanks for your sevice. Life is good, BestLever

1 - 9 of 9 Posts