Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Hornday make a 300gr bullet for a 444 or have they ever, a local shop owner said he can order them..................... ???

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
He's not ordering the XTP is he?

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
The only thing I can think of from Hornady in 0.430" is the 300 grain XTP/HP. Haven't ever used them in the .444 though. I am sure others will chime in on them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm unaware of Hornady loading a 300 in any of their factory offerings.

I have used ( with great affect on game and accuracy ) the 300gr .430 XTP for reloading my own 444. Be sure he isnt ordering you reloading components heh ;D Well that is unless you are handloading that is. ;)

BTW my Marlin is a 1973 444S micro groove

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah Pioneer that is the one i was reffering to.

You know for some reason I automaticly assumed that the OP was meaning Factory loaded , Dont know why I thought that but I did heh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MO member Wes killed a raghorn bull elk a couple of years back using a 444 with a Hornady 300 gr. XTP, I believe. I think I remember him saying the bullet performed all right.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I really like the looks of this bullet and the few reviews look good. I haven't started casting yet so will be buying for jacketed bullets and this one is an aption I was also wanting to try the 300 Grn Barnes Buster or the 300 Grn Swift A frame, but can't seem to find any here in Canada right now

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Pioneer said:
I really like the looks of this bullet and the few reviews look good. I haven't started casting yet so will be buying for jacketed bullets and this one is an aption I was also wanting to try the 300 Grn Barnes Buster or the 300 Grn Swift A frame, but can't seem to find any here in Canada right now
Pioneer, the XTP is a pistol bullet and will expand too fast for anything but deer. For an excellent non-premium bullet, try the Speer 300 SP. It will penetrate and hold together better than the Hornady. If you really want a Hornady offering, the 265 FP is legendary and almost as good as the Speer. Try Ellwood Epps or Williams Arms. Both will mail order to you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Tony65x55 said:
Pioneer, the XTP is a pistol bullet and will expand too fast for anything but deer. For an excellent non-premium bullet, try the Speer 300 SP. It will penetrate and hold together better than the Hornady. If you really want a Hornady offering, the 265 FP is legendary and almost as good as the Speer. Try Ellwood Epps or Williams Arms. Both will mail order to you.
Thanks I alreadfy have been using the Hornady 265 FP for 20 years or so, but after seeing the bullet review done on here a while ago I thought the 300 swift A frame bullet would be a better choice until I get into casting.

Thanks for the dealers that will ship I wil check them out

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mactavish said:
Does Hornday make a 300gr bullet for a 444 or have they ever, a local shop owner said he can order them..................... ???
Thanks for the input boys, I wasn't sure if they produced a 300 gr. I will contact this chap through the week and ask for sure if he was right in saying he could get this size form Hornady ???. Thanks Mac ;D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi well I am in Canada too, Alberta and have only seen the 300gr xtp in Bullets not loaded ammo. I would stay away from that XTP as it was a Bomb in my Hawken with a sabot. I was pushing it at a even 2000fps and it made a huge mess of the Deer I hit with it, but must say it did shoot through them just it came out in more than one hole!!
Funny how shooting the big Hawken for Years with a hard cast ball or a pure lead Minnie Never a problem then I switched to a Sabot and Ya they are as good as any .444 the way I load my front stuffer ;D
Ya I said hard cast! Why bother to load pure lead the ball rides in a patch?
I do not have a .444 but load one for a friend I use the Heavy Lee Mold the slugs come out at 305gr then I add a check and my lee sizer sizes them to .430 wish it was a tad bigger. It's a older Marlin 1976 year but shoots great with the cast Slug. 1.5'' at 100yds for 3 shot's is nothing to sneeze at.
The older Marlin also handles the long slug great not sure about the newer ones I herd they do not like 300gr+ slugs? Not sure on that as I am still looking for my own Marlin to play with.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tony65x55 said:
Funny how so many .444 made it to Canada I see them often here more so than the 45/70. But like you said that XTP is Soft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts