Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this year I've shot one 600 yard prone match (three strings of 20 shots in 20 minutes each) and one 200, 300 and 600 yard across-the-course match. That one requires shooting from standing at 200 as well as sitting rapid at 200, prone rapid fire at 300 and 20-shots slow fire at 600 yards.

I've turned in two strings of 198, one of 195 and one of 193. The 193 was fired at the end of the cross-course match in pretty doggone chilly weather, but not much wind. I used a scope for the 600 yard slow fire match, but iron sights for the across-the-course match.

Am trying to shoot a perfect 200 sometime this year! Haven't ever done that at 600 yards. The 10-ring is 12 inches diameter, with a 6" X-ring in it. I'm holding the rifle with just the sling for support, no bipod or other rest. Having lots of fun and intend on shooting a lot of matches this year. Will likely have to replace my barrel soon, it has 5540 rounds through it now and I'm not getting a very high X-count in my matches, even when I'm shooting 198's. That shows me that the barrel may be nearing the end of its accurate life.

Cartridge I'm using is the .308 Win, loaded with 155 grain Nosler competition bullets averaging 2977 fps from the 30" Krieger, with a relatively slow 1:13 twist.

I have a couple of spare barrels in the safe, ready to screw on. Think it's about time to give one of 'em a try here shortly.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Around here, 100 yds can be a very long shot. I ain't so hot at 300 with the ol milsurp 7.62 N- missed a moose at 300 once. 600 I can't even see at- not a 12" bull anyways.

The majority of my target work is at 25 yds with the .22 L.R. :oops: 50 yds is STILL challenging!

Good luck with the shooting. 198/200 sounds very good to me, considering the way you are shooting it. Keep us updated here. Some of us are interested in such things!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I can't see that far with scope .. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tore the match rifle apart, installed a new 30" Krieger and have re-assembled everything. Will be checking it out at the range soon. The old barrel had nearly 5700 rounds through it and just wasn't pulling very many X's anymore.

Wonder what my excuse is going to be now? :D

Have some 1000 yard matches scheduled in May, so it made sense to replace the barrel at this point.

FWIW, Guy

·
Registered
463 Posts
What kind of sights are you using? Sounds like the "National High-Power" match I use to shoot ( way back when I could see the front sight :? )
We used only iron sights, the 'bull' at 600 yds was (I think ) 30".
My scores were usually about the middle of the page.......... the second page that is! :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an old set of match sights. The rear is a Swenson, with an adjustable iris. The front is a Tiger, with interchangable apertures. Pretty nice sights, but nowhere near state of the art.

Yup - it's just good old NRA highpower shooting. Washington has a lot of focus on prone matches and Palma courses, but the standard across-the-course match is good too.

NRA has figured out that there are a lot of guys who quit shooting due to eye problems, and has a provisional catagory set up for scoped rifle use. Most of the fellows in that are using a Tubb 2000 rifle, or a flat-top AR-15.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D Hey, a buddy of mine snapped a shot of me on the 600 yard line at our match last weekend. Don't see too many pictures of me at a match - I'm often the guy who takes the pictures, so I couldn't resist sharing!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
That is really great shooting, hope the new barrel does the trick for the 200 score. Where do you do your 1000 yard shooting at? Are the shoots open for spectators. Always wanted to see one of those.

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thousand yard ranges are scarce in Washington. The only official one I know of is Rattlesnake range, outside of Tri-Cities. Nasty winds much of the year make shooting well a real feat there.

There are some unofficial places where a guy can shoot 1000 yards though.

Yes, spectators (quiet ones) are welcome at matches. It's not much of a spectator sport - just a bunch of guys on their bellies, shooting slow-fire at targets a long way away... More interesting if you bring a spotting scope, or at least some good binoculars.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I was thinking telescope, not sure I can see that far with a spotting scope. :D :D

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well nuts - shot the last scheduled 600 yard match at our club last weekend - and managed a best string of 197... The other two strings were 195 and 191 (ugh - caught some shifty winds on that one)...

Only chance left is a final across-the-course match on Dec 3rd - 200, 300 and one final 600 yard string of twenty shots... Somehow it's not looking real good for shooting a 200 right now... Maybe next year! :D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Gives you a goal to shoot for .. :lol: I know. I couldn't come close to your score

1 - 13 of 13 Posts