Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had a dog named Dixie before we were even married. We have been married nine years and our oldest son is now six. He loved Dixie Like all boys love Dogs. Dixie died earlier this year and he has really taken it rough, especially at bedtime. Last night he was having trouble falling asleep so I went into his room and laid down with him a bit. We talked a bit and laughed a lot like 2 boys like us do when we get together. Then out of the blue the conversation turned serious about Dixie. Lots of questions and trying to hide his tears and fears. Fears of his Dad growing old like Dixie, fears of his grandparents growing old like Dixie. As my feeble mind stumbled with ways to turn this into a teachable moment I silently prayed for guidance. We talked about God and Heaven, How Dixie was able to see her mom and dad in heaven and how God was watching over us like Dixie used to protect our family here on Earth. He wanted to know how far away Heaven is and I told him too far to travel in a spaceship. He says well how do you get there? I said you have to believe and God will fly you there with angel wings. This really perked his interest. You mean Dixie has wings. Yep! Well where are they? God put them on her back. Do I have wings? I said Do you believe in God, that he will save and protect you? Yes! Well one day you will have wings to fly to heaven. This brought on another conundrum...What about our house and all our stuff? I said we wont need them in Heaven. But I want them there..... Well son God will give you the desires of your heart.....so you mean he will give my house wings??? Son, God will always take care of us and our needs. OK....Daddy where do you think God will attach the wings to our house? Probably on the roof son. This made him giggle and smile and after a little bit of silence it was off to sleep.
I was truly humbled by that experience and I know God allowed me to see the wonder of Christ again through the eyes of my six year old. Faith like a little child is hard to keep as we grow older. I find myself becoming more and more easily distracted from God. THANK YOU GOD for my wife and my children and my Christian heritage. I know it is my job to try to lead my boys to you. Please pray for me brothers and sisters as I have not been living a Christ centered life that I may follow GOD!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Sorry about the loss of a trusted friend. If it's feasible another dog will help smooth over the pain for the boy. I just went through this a few weeks ago. luckily we had a retired hunting dog step up to the plate and he's enjoying the extra attention and the easy life now.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
You a are in my prayers brother and a wonderful story!!! I imagine their are a few of us that are not living a Christ centered life including myself!!!! Prayers going out to ya brother

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I thank God for parents that will talk to their kids about Him and his Son, Jesus Christ, the King of Kings.

May the Spirit of Christ remain with you. I am getting old, and often see the world going to hell in a hand basket. Folks like you - and the young couple that sits just in front of us at church most Sundays - restore my own faith. Receive the blessings of Christ.

BTW, our youngest granddaughter will be dedicated to Christ next Sunday. It is a good excuse for DadDad and Meme to journey to the panhandle. We strongly support our kids in their efforts to grow our grandchildren into the body of Christ!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts